Author Topic: New 3DS and 3DS XL announced for Japan (English press release included)  (Read 12732 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
New 3DS:

Click here for more New 3DS white system shots

New 3DS XL (LL in Japan):

Key points:
  • Better 3D: Better viewing angles, no longer have to be in the 'sweet spot' to experience.
  • Has a second analogue stick being named C-Stick like on the Gamecube/N64.
  • Has NFC built in for Amibo toys (and Skylander) if that's your thing.
  • More buttons (now matches the Wii u number of buttons!) (two more shoulder buttons)
  • Better Battery life (according to Nintendo 7h)
  • You can now use MicroSDcards!
  • Supports wireless PC data back up
  • Browser gets an update, now supports HTML5
  • CPU improved: Makes browsing Miiverse/Eshop faster
  • Allows customization covers, think faceplates on Xbox 360. Examples of faceplates.
  • Now has a Gyro sensor built in.
  • New color buttons (Has SNES controller buttons)
ENGLISH PRESS RELEASE.
OFFICIAL PRODUCTS INCLUDING DOCKING STATION AND FACEPLATES.

New Limited Edition versions of the handheld:

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: New 3DS and 3DS XL announced for Japan (English press release included)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 01:46:01 am »
Sometime ago, I made a mental laundry list of new features I'd want in a 3DS redesign. I knew they would never happen because Nintendo.

This checks every single one of them and adds awesome customizable face plates on top of it AND a port of one of my favorite Wii games. Weird. Now, I want to see someone make a line of SEGA themed face plates...

Offline George

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 02:49:45 am »
I have a feeling that this new controller layout might be part of a feature that will allow you to connect it with the Wii U and use it as a tablet? Maybe stream games on a TV wirelessly like a Gameboy player. They need a reason to sell Wii U's and have already gone on the record about them looking into 'streamlining' their handhelds with consoles.

This could be the first experiment at that. Notice they never mentioned too much, I think TGS should have more information on other features.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 07:02:28 am »
I am mad.

I bought my 3DS XL last year. I payed 200 euros for the damn thing and just a year later it's "obsolete".

Yes, I know only a handful of games will be exclusive. But WHY! There was no need for CPU upgrades. Why split the userbase? Who does this?!

I'm no stockholder, I don't care if Nintendo's business decisions make sense or not. But as a consumer this is a fucking slap in the buttcheeks.

I was not expecting this and am fairly disappointed.
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 07:47:24 am »
Nintendo always does stuff like this midcycle. Im not bummed personally. Im one of those who loves the 3d effect and to me being able to watch the 3d from every angle is a huge selling point. Getting it day one and my xl will probably be compensated with 100 euro's by then

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 09:25:55 am »
Nintendo always does stuff like this midcycle. Im not bummed personally. Im one of those who loves the 3d effect and to me being able to watch the 3d from every angle is a huge selling point. Getting it day one and my xl will probably be compensated with 100 euro's by then

Yeah but now if Nintendo makes an exclusive game than someone like Crackdude would have to pay double to get those new games.

Of course it entirely depends if they are small games like the dsi or in fact full blown retail releases. I'm going with the former but it's still worrying.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 10:01:17 am »
This certainly makes me glad I didn't buy an XL, if I did I'd be very annoyed. I was very tempted, too. With the good refurbished prices on Nintendo's online store. I need a better 3DS next year for Project Mirai, and some other games too that I'd like to play. I hate holding my current 3DS. Hurts my hands.

Won't be out in the western territories until 2015. So plenty of time to decide if you want new XL or normal new. Also only the small new 3DS has face plate support, kinda saddening. But the new 3DS screens are apparently 20% bigger then the screens on the original 3DS.. so also something to keep in mind.

Miyamoto recently commented in an interview about how Nintendo is done appealing to the casual userbase. Even insulted them. About time Nintendo wakes up. Glad the Wii U bombed so hard and made them realize they were being increidbly stupid about how they treated core gamers. I imagine this new 3DS is going to have a lot of push towards the hardcore from Nintendo, I could be completely wrong though. I guess we will see.

If all you want to play is Pokemon don't be too upset. Nintendo won't limit Pokemon to only the new 3DS. They will probably limit more hardcore software to the new 3DS. Which is kinda a scummy move, but the original 3DS isnt aimed at the core, its aimed at the casual. Core gamers were tricked into buying it just like with the Wii and Wii U.

Also I'm seeing people on GAF speculate it's going to be called 3DS Advance in the west. Apparently Nintendo has trademarked the term Advance recently. Would be an interesting name. Certainly better then "New 3DS"

People have hacked into the current 3DS firmware too, and the "New 3DS" has double the amount of RAM. So, probably better multi-tasking, too.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:38:55 am by Will »

Offline nuckles87

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 11:20:52 am »
I am mad.

I bought my 3DS XL last year. I payed 200 euros for the damn thing and just a year later it's "obsolete".

Yes, I know only a handful of games will be exclusive. But WHY! There was no need for CPU upgrades. Why split the userbase? Who does this?!

I'm no stockholder, I don't care if Nintendo's business decisions make sense or not. But as a consumer this is a fucking slap in the buttcheeks.

I was not expecting this and am fairly disappointed.

Haha, I got a $200 iPhone 5s last month and that thing's gonna be obsolete by November. This is a pretty common practice in the mobile space. By the time this releases in the west the 3DS will have been out for four years, which is how long the GBA was around before it was replaced and a year longer then the GBC was around before the GBA replaced it, and two years longer then the DSi's lifespan before the 3DS replaced it.

I get why you're mad, having something you bought being made obsolete and all. But this isn't exactly surprising. This sort of practice is not only common to Nintendo, it's extremely common in the mobile market. I think the only company that doesn't really do it is Sony. I was expecting something along these lines last year, though instead we got the 2DS. The 3DS has NEEDED a hardware revamp like this.

In terms of hardware, the 3DS is an outdated piece of shit. Hell, it was an outdated piece of shit when it was released. It's slow as hell, has a shitty browser, the settings are treated as their own damn app so every time I want to change something in the settings I need to close my damn game. The only way to fix these issues is with more power, more RAM, and usage of faster SD cards, which is exactly what this thing does.

And honestly, you don't need to buy it. I mean, if you don't feel the 3DS needs a faster UI, faster SD card, and more CPU power you don't really have a reason to buy this. It's not like we're going to have a lot of major releases being made exclusively for this hardware, given that the CPU boost appears to be fairly minor. We'll probably have an all new handheld a few years after this thing comes out. You can enjoy the New 3DS exclusive games and content then.

This answers every issue I've had with the 3DS and then some though, so I'm definitely getting it. Portable Xenoblade definitely sweetens the deal, too.

Core gamers were tricked into buying it just like with the Wii and Wii U.

I would love to hear you expand on this comment, Will. I'm curious. XD
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:27:35 am by nuckles87 »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 11:56:58 am »

what more is there to say? Iwata thought Wii Fit U and Wii Sports U were going to make the Wii U sell millions. How wrong he was. lol

Not to mention Miyamoto's recent statement that says Nintendo is done trying to appeal to casuals, which means all their latest hardware was made to appeal to casuals, which really isn't that hard to see.

I'm personally quite happy Nintendo is done trying to appeal to the casual audience. That means better quality hardware and software coming out of Nintendo. I don't hate Nintendo, I only hate Wii-era Nintendo.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:26:32 pm by Will »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 12:53:25 pm »
Haha, I got a $200 iPhone 5s last month and that thing's gonna be obsolete by November. This is a pretty common practice in the mobile space. By the time this releases in the west the 3DS will have been out for four years, which is how long the GBA was around before it was replaced and a year longer then the GBC was around before the GBA replaced it, and two years longer then the DSi's lifespan before the 3DS replaced it.
Yeah, no.
You're comparing a phone to a games console.
Also, the GBA example is false. There were no GBASP exclusives.
And the GBC is a perfect example of Nintendo pulling off the same shit it is trying now. (Though, color was a big deal back then).

I get why you're mad, having something you bought being made obsolete and all. But this isn't exactly surprising. This sort of practice is not only common to Nintendo, it's extremely common in the mobile market. I think the only company that doesn't really do it is Sony. I was expecting something along these lines last year, though instead we got the 2DS. The 3DS has NEEDED a hardware revamp like this.

In terms of hardware, the 3DS is an outdated piece of shit. Hell, it was an outdated piece of shit when it was released. It's slow as hell, has a shitty browser, the settings are treated as their own damn app so every time I want to change something in the settings I need to close my damn game. The only way to fix these issues is with more power, more RAM, and usage of faster SD cards, which is exactly what this thing does.

And honestly, you don't need to buy it. I mean, if you don't feel the 3DS needs a faster UI, faster SD card, and more CPU power you don't really have a reason to buy this. It's not like we're going to have a lot of major releases being made exclusively for this hardware, given that the CPU boost appears to be fairly minor. We'll probably have an all new handheld a few years after this thing comes out. You can enjoy the New 3DS exclusive games and content then.
Again, comparing the PHONE market with the game console one just goes to show how STUPID it is to implement the same philosophies in both.

A phone's lifecycle is 3 years.
A consoles lifecycle is 6-8 years long! It was NOT EXPECTED to have an upgrade of this caliber halfway through.

I don't give two fucks about the 3DS being outdated hardware-wise. That was the case from the very beginning. You wanted good hardware, you would get a PSVita. I wanted the 3DS for it's games, and now I'm wary that the "hardcore" games will come out on the new one.

There is a reason behind the backlash I've seen online.

I don't need to buy it?
I surely did not need it before. Now I simply won't.

Also, do backup what I bolded out. Unless you're working at Nintendo Japan I don't believe you can say what you did with such certainty.

Yes, I'm still pissed.
SEG4GES

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 02:09:33 pm »
BTW the first 'New 3DS' "exclusive" is Xenoblade Chronicles. Not the new, upcoming Wii U game, the old Wii game released in 2010/11.

As for people feeling ripped off, I understand this completely, I also think its shady that it won't come out till 2015, so lots of kids will be getting an outdated model with Smash Bros this Christmas because parents don't know shit and kids are bratty and want things NOW NOW.

All we know is that Nintendo is supporting the 'New 3DS' with ONE exclusive. No 3rd parties have made comments on it (though I have a feeling that Monster Hunter 4 will make use of the joystick, maybe as an extra option just for New 3DS owners but won't be exclusive)

Considering that the DSi only had 5 exclusives. I also don't think its smart to split a console base, 3DS isn't selling well so you make a .5 version? This is the company that is having a branding problem and adding more consoles to the fray isn't going to help. Most people don't even know the Wii U is a new console and not a Wii add-on.

Also: Game boy came out in 1989 and Game boy Color came out in 1998. I would say Color was the successor of Gameboy and not just a 'new revision'. The revisions for Game boy where Game boy Light (Japan only) and Game boy Pocket.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:17:44 pm by George »

Offline nuckles87

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 03:01:48 pm »
Edit: Apologies for the overly long post. I promise I won't say much else on this subject after this.

GBA is a great example. I wasn't referring to the GBA SP. The GBA platform, as a whole, existed for only about four years before the DS came out. That said, I'm sure a lot of people complaining today would be complaining about the GBA SP given that it added a built-in front light, which was a HUGE new feature at the time, less then two years after the GBA came out, AND it was announced right after the 2002 holiday season when a lot of people had just gotten their GBAs. I agree, not the same thing as this, but it still effectively rendered the original GBA obsolete in a MAJOR way.

Nintendo ISN'T implementing the same philosophy as the phone market. The phone market has yearly upgrades, the 3DS will have been around for four years by the time we get this. The average lifespan for game consoles has historically been five to six years, and I've already brought up three examples of Nintendo doing this in the past. They've pretty much done this with every piece of handheld hardware they've made, this is NOTHING new. Hell, the GBA wasn't even replaced by a slight upgrade after four years, it was replaced with A WHOLE NEW CONSOLE. Here's a timeline to put things in perspective:

Game Boy Color: 1998

Game Boy Advance: 2001

Nintendo DS: 2004

Nintendo DSi: 2009

Nintendo 3DS: 2011

Nintendo New 3DS: 2015

New 3DS isn't even the second worst offender on here. XD

And you can't really segregate phones from dedicated handhelds anymore. I mean, well, you CAN, but you'll be ignoring the huge changes made in the handheld gaming market these last four years. I agree that the exact same philosophies can't be implemented in both, but as I've already demonstrated Nintendo has already been implementing these philosophies, albeit on a different timescale. A phone lasts three years, but becomes obsolete in one. So a phone becomes obsolete one third into its standard.

A game console's lifespan is normally 6-8 years, as you've stated, but Nintendo will typically upgrade or replace their handheld system after 3-5 years, with the only real exception to this rule being the original Game Boy, which had a lifespan of about 9 years before the GBC came out. So for a Nintendo handheld, it's typical for a handheld to become obsolete around halfway to about two thirds into the standard console lifespan. This is coming out for us next year, four years into its life span, so anywhere between 50% and two thirds into the standard console lifespan.

So it's not really applying the same philosophy, but it is applying one that has made sense to Nintendo for about 16 years. Hell, Wonderswan, Neo Geo Pocket Color and GP32 all became obsolete by new hardware about a year and a half to two years after release. It's been an INCREDIBLY common practice in the handheld gaming market for awhile. Sony has been the exception here.

There is a reason behind the backlash I've seen online.

There may be a reason, but I don't find it to be a particularly compelling one. There was a huge amount of backlash from the internet over the 2DS last year as well. There were cries of this being a stupid move, fears over market segmentation, etc. A year later, no one cares. It didn't bring about the apocalypse, and Nintendo is still selling the darn thing so it can't be doing all that badly. A year from now, most people are going to be enjoying the fact that they finally have a model with a built in C-stick, additional triggers, longer battery life, a faster UI, faster downloads, and faster SD card reading. People who were complaining will either bite the bullet and buy it, or come to realize it didn't have the horrible effect they thought it would. That's how this song and dance usually tends to go.

Also, do backup what I bolded out. Unless you're working at Nintendo Japan I don't believe you can say what you did with such certainty.

I can say this with plenty of certainty just going by what we've seen, how Nintendo tends to operate and past trends. In terms of graphics, Nintendo only showed off one New 3DS game, and it was a Wii port. 3DS has already gotten a port of one of the Wii's best looking games, and all they had to do was halve the frame rate. They did not demonstrate any  significant graphical upgrade. On top of that, the New 3DS is being priced at roughly the same number as current 3DS models (16000 and 18800 yen).

Nintendo DSi was pretty much the same deal as this. Every single major DS release made after DSi was launched was compatible with old DS systems. Why? Because the market for DSi was much smaller, and there isn't much sense in making a lot of exclusives software for a version of a console far fewer people own. That's also why the vast majority of, say, iOS game will work with less advanced versions of the phone: to maximize userbase. What was a far more common practice with the DSi was including optional DSi only functions, such as camera functions and voice chat in Pokemon B&W.

I have no doubt we'll be getting some exclusive software like the already announced Xenoblade, but unless the New 3DS blows up and sells boatloads of units there isn't really much economic sense in producing all of your content exclusively for it. If that was something Nintendo was interested in doing, they'd be announcing more then just a port of an obscure Wii game.

Hell, who knows, I could be wrong I guess. Nintendo's been treading new ground lately, it could be they'll find a new way to be stupid (hopefully, while they correct their old ways of being stupid). I can't say I personally care all that much if I am. A year from now, everyone who is complaining will either own the damn thing or won't care anymore. People already got used to this sort of thing in the phone industry, and they have been taking the practice from Nintendo in stride for years. I guess I'm just kind of taken aback of people are this angry over Nintendo effectively listening to their fans and making their fun little handheld a LOT better.

And yeah, your still pissed, I get it. Having your hardware become obsolete sucks. Always does. I'm gonna be incredibly jealous when people around me start busting out their new iPhones and enjoying features I wish I had. But in the grand scheme of things, my phones gonna be perfectly fine for the next few years because millions of people own it and people aren't upgrading all that frequently anymore. Unless Nintendo come down with a MAJOR case of stupid and decides to abandon it's current user base of 40 million 3DSs, you'll be fine too for the next few years to.

what more is there to say? Iwata thought Wii Fit U and Wii Sports U were going to make the Wii U sell millions. How wrong he was. lol

Not to mention Miyamoto's recent statement that says Nintendo is done trying to appeal to casuals, which means all their latest hardware was made to appeal to casuals, which really isn't that hard to see.

I'm personally quite happy Nintendo is done trying to appeal to the casual audience. That means better quality hardware and software coming out of Nintendo. I don't hate Nintendo, I only hate Wii-era Nintendo.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with "tricking" core gamers, which is what I quoted.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:24:46 pm by nuckles87 »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 03:38:11 pm »
Yeah but now if Nintendo makes an exclusive game than someone like Crackdude would have to pay double to get those new games.

Of course it entirely depends if they are small games like the dsi or in fact full blown retail releases. I'm going with the former but it's still worrying.
it sucks definitly from that point of view. I guess its more of a money issue then. I actually replaced my xl not too long ago as well with another xl, so im actually quite glad its not coming out this holiday. Holding it off a bit:

This seems like a move more akin to apple and quite a larger step than previous new midcycle revisions. I think this is a smart move when taking in mind how resources have really cut thin since their HD console wii u and their development cost. Nintendo cant afford a vita. Heck not even sony can. I think this is the way forward for nintendo imo. No more new handheld and try to sell the small jump of specs with the additional functionality and ports u can already get on different platforms untill the masses are ready while keeping a huge installbase intact

Im ready atleast!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:41:42 pm by CrazyT »

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 06:33:03 pm »
I don't know a lot of people that are cool with this. As a fan if Nintendo's I've always hated how they always update their handhelds multiple times. I probably would've just waited a few more years and just announced a sequel to the 3ds, but given Nintendo's situation with the Wii u, they probably needed another quick source of income.

I'm not too bothered with this because i still have the original 3ds, so an upgrade doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Definitely digging Nintendo's new direction thus far, they just need to follow through with their consoles. I think this is just a slight look at their new direction and merging of their consoles and handhelds. I think having a game as massive as xenoblade on a handheld is a testament to the capabilities of a handheld these days.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline George

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 06:55:41 pm »
Well according to them they want to unify their handheld and consoles so it should be good. I already see lots of handheld stuff leak over to consoles with New Super Mario Wii/U and Super Mario 3D World.

The only shady part of the whole thing is how America/Europe will most likely not get it till 2015, basically having a million plus kids this October get an outdated 3DS with Smash Bros.