Author Topic: Questions for Al Nilsen - Former SEGA Head of Marketing  (Read 6024 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Questions for Al Nilsen - Former SEGA Head of Marketing
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:08:48 pm »

Former SEGA head of marketing Al Nilsen will be appearing on the May 4th episode of the SEGAbits Swingin' Report Show! Al is probably one of our most important guests we've had on the show, and given his involvement in the upcoming Console Wars book and movie he will be even more of a legend.

I wanted to put the call out to the Sonic Retro and SEGAbits forums for questions people may have for Al regarding his days with SEGA during the early 90's. Anything involving the SEGA Genesis launch in America, working with Michael Katz and Tom Kalinske, and shaping Sonic the Hedgehog into the mascot be became in 1991.

We record on Sunday, May 4th, so post them here before then!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UExsRds7RlE

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
Re: Questions for Al Nilsen - Former SEGA Head of Marketing
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:31:02 pm »
Interesting, I'll try to think of a question or two.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:21:39 am »
Regarding the sales of SEGA's Mega Drive in Europe.

Could you give an accurate detail on which country was the biggest market for SEGA at that particular time?

I live in the UK and was brought up on the Mega Drive, but any percentages of each country's marketshare to Nintendo would be exciting to hear.

If this isn't possible to answer, then how much of an important market was the UK for SEGA? Was Virgin Games an important asset when they were converted into SEGA UK?
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 02:06:26 pm »
Does he have any insight into the name change from Mega Drive to Genesis? Does he think it was either necessary or provided a benefit to the console's marketability?
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 06:27:39 pm »

How many IP,s did SEGA of America affected over all?

How did SEGA of Japan felt about the idea of denouncing, Moddona-Sonic?

Was the 32x a last ditch effort? or was this something planned from the Start, like the Mega-CD?

Why not promote Earth Worm Jim, as a SEGA only game?

Do you feel it was Sonic 2, that killed off the SEGA CD, because parents instead had the choice of getting a cheaper game over an expensive system?

About the Saturn. Who choice was it, to not promote 2d games?

Did you ever do any events, wear you marketed book covers? I had gotten some back then, when I was younger, and it was an on stage event, where an employee from SEGA, was related to the school or a kids relative, and gave us Book covers?

Why is Knuckles being shown as a Jamaican islander. They make him say "Mon!" inside the S&K  guide book, and he even is shown wearing a cowboy hat ( which is a typical style in Jamaica ), whose idea was that?

Was their any relations for the comics? How that went down, and so forth.

What you feel killed the Game Gear, it was popular until the Neo-geo pocket, in my opinion.

Was SEGA mentioned in the background of any movies, in the west.

What is your opinion, on the growing "self-serviant" women trend of the 1990's, and how did it affect SEGA, other then the creation of Tails/Miles.

Why Tails/Miles have two names.

How did the X-band promotion went down, and how many movie stars joined the service, or celebraties? Michael Jordan was known to play the SNES games, any specific for the SEGA games.

The SEGA genesis, also had a cable download system, where people could play demo's and download only games. How did that promotion went down?

If you could go back, what would have changed differently?

While the Genesis was the bigger and more powerful machine, at the time, as well as being the only true 16-bit console, next to the Playstation. Any thoughts on promoting two add-ons.

About ideas for Starwars games, any involvement?

The Vectorman 2, promotional sweepstakes. Was that a real winner, or whats up with that. Did they really run SEGA for a day.

Offline Saturn Memories

• Total Meseta: 3
  • In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 11:32:30 am »
Does he have any insight into the name change from Mega Drive to Genesis? Does he think it was either necessary or provided a benefit to the console's marketability?

It was necessary from a legal standpoint since a company within the US was already using the Mega Drive name. Al may however be able to give some insight as to why "Genesis" was chosen over other potential names. My theory: someone within SoA was either a Phil Collins or Wrath of Khan fan. :)

If Al was still with Sega in 1995, I'd like to hear what the hell was going on in the marketing department leading up to and after the Saturn's launch. In interviews, Tom Kalinske makes it quite clear that SoA had little faith in the system. How did this affect marketing? ...well, aside from the surprise launch date.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:47:50 am by Saturn Memories »
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline Al Nilsen

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 11:35:24 am »
Great questions. A lot of them I've never been asked before!!!

Keep 'em coming!

Can't wait to do the podcast.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 12:22:14 pm »
Great questions. A lot of them I've never been asked before!!!

Keep 'em coming!

Can't wait to do the podcast.

Thanks for joining the forums Al! We're looking forward to the show too!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 02:47:58 pm »
I have a few questions but those are going to be secret for the podcast :D