Author Topic: Retro Game Designer : Create your own games for Dreamcast / Megadrive / Genesis  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Orion_

• Total Meseta: 0
Here is my Kickstarter for a tool I have been working on since about 2 months
It's called "Retro Game Designer" and it's a Windows / PC tool that will allow you to create your own video games and export them to the Sega Megadrive, Dreamcast, Playstation 1 and Atari Jaguar consoles!
Without any programming knowledge (except for the adventure game engine that will require some very simple scripting)
Several game engines are planned depending on the amount that will be reached by the KickStarter.
We start with a 2D platform game engine, then an adventure game engine (point & click, text or myst like)
followed by a Shoot'em Up game engine (horizontal or vertical), and finally we end up with an RPG / Rogue like!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orionsoft/retro-game-designer

Please spread the word !

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
I think this sounds cool, but I have a question. Instead of building these engines from scratch, why not build development environments and export modules for existing, robust game engines like Gamemaker Studio, Unity, and UE4?

Offline Orion_

• Total Meseta: 0
are you serious about making Unreal Engine to run on a Megadrive / Genesis ?
those engines are just not made for retro consoles, they require high end platform.
A Megadrive / Genesis have 64 kbytes of RAM, 16 colors only.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
I guess it wouldn't work. I was just thinking that a development environment could be created within one of those engines that imposes the limits of the target console.