Author Topic: Controllers  (Read 6622 times)

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
Controllers
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:13:14 pm »
Which video gaming systems do you think had the best and worst controllers?

I'll start...

My favorite: Sega Genesis

My least favorite: Nintendo 64

Offline DayOfLavos

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Controllers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 12:55:23 am »
Favorite: Gamecube.

Least favorite: CD-I. I know everyone hates on this thing but my friend actually has a CD-I and boy oh boy are the controllers just awful.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 02:21:52 am »
Favourite: 360/One controller

Least: Gamecube

The 360/one controller is a refined Dreamcast controller and it's something I just adapted to straight away. The button placement, the weight and so on just feel naturally right. My least favourite would be the Gamecube as it's small, feels like a toy and quite painful to use after an hour of gaming.

Online Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 04:05:38 am »
My favorite: Sega Saturn (Japanese version)

My least favorite: Atari Jaguar

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 04:39:01 am »
Favorite 3D: 360 wired, the perfect controller. The Xbone one is also very good, I understand why they changed it because it has some very important improvements. But as for feel you can't beat the 360.

Favorite 2D: Saturn 2nd gen. Easy.

Worst 3D: Dual Shock 3. It's light, fragile, has weak vibration, battery is shit, and the electronics of the thing are a nightmare. Lasted 40 days in my hands, Dual Shock 1 lasted 15 years.

Worst 2D: MegaDrive 6 button controller. Maybe it was just me, but I broke 3 of those just by dropping them. The 3 button controllers were tanks, I don't know what happened there..

Honorable mentions:
Good: MegaDrive 3bt, Dual Shock 1, OG Xbox Duke
Bad: Nintendo 64, Wiimote, Dual Shock 2
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 04:41:27 am by crackdude »
SEG4GES

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 06:24:37 am »
Favorite 3D: 360 wired, the perfect controller. The Xbone one is also very good, I understand why they changed it because it has some very important improvements. But as for feel you can't beat the 360.

Favorite 2D: Saturn 2nd gen. Easy.

Worst 3D: Dual Shock 3. It's light, fragile, has weak vibration, battery is shit, and the electronics of the thing are a nightmare. Lasted 40 days in my hands, Dual Shock 1 lasted 15 years.

Worst 2D: MegaDrive 6 button controller. Maybe it was just me, but I broke 3 of those just by dropping them. The 3 button controllers were tanks, I don't know what happened there..

Honorable mentions:
Good: MegaDrive 3bt, Dual Shock 1, OG Xbox Duke
Bad: Nintendo 64, Wiimote, Dual Shock 2

I always leave my dualshock 3 plugged in.  o3o I have a small room so it's not like it needs to go that far.  As for Sega Genesis, stick with Retrobits.  At least, they still work for me.  (I haven't dropped any)  N64 were ok, it's the 3rd party crap N64 controllers you need to watch out for.  I've had some where the stick drops right out!
Be like water.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 06:25:32 am »
Favorite: Gamecube.

Least favorite: CD-I. I know everyone hates on this thing but my friend actually has a CD-I and boy oh boy are the controllers just awful.

one of them is literally just a remote.  and some games require special ones to play properly, if at all.
Be like water.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 10:23:32 am »

I always leave my dualshock 3 plugged in.  o3o I have a small room so it's not like it needs to go that far.  As for Sega Genesis, stick with Retrobits.  At least, they still work for me.  (I haven't dropped any)  N64 were ok, it's the 3rd party crap N64 controllers you need to watch out for.  I've had some where the stick drops right out!
While I had my PS3 I just bought some DS1s and plugged them with USB adapters. It's amazing how the original Dual Shocks feel so damn good in your hands compared with the DS3s. A landmark in controller design all those years back. Astonishing.

N64 controllers are very good build quality wise. It's the controller's concept that I find incredibly dumb, and it's not really that comfortable.
SEG4GES

Offline Asha

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 11:07:28 pm »
Ultimate Favorite:
PS2 - Dualshock 2 is perfect for any kind of game. I never had any problem with that controller.

Other Favorites: Japanese Saturn, Genesis (Six Buttons), Xbox 360 and SNES.

Least Favorite:
Game Cube - Terrible for sports titles or any kind of game that uses button combinations.
Dreamcast -  Very uncomfortable and simply awful for FPSs. I'd rather play Quake III and Unreal Tournament on PC or PS2.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 10:57:14 am »
Favorite: Japanese Saturn

Least Favorite: Xbox Duke

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 01:47:34 pm »
http://i.imgur.com/DVAaV.png

tenouttaten!  Best idea ever! :p
Be like water.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 03:31:09 pm »
While I had my PS3 I just bought some DS1s and plugged them with USB adapters. It's amazing how the original Dual Shocks feel so damn good in your hands compared with the DS3s. A landmark in controller design all those years back. Astonishing.

N64 controllers are very good build quality wise. It's the controller's concept that I find incredibly dumb, and it's not really that comfortable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the DS3 thrown together quickly as Sony were going to change to that silver boomerang controller?

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 08:58:34 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the DS3 thrown together quickly as Sony were going to change to that silver boomerang controller?

Didn't the PS one have a boomerang controller?  I remember seeing something like that in a magazine ad years ago... 
Be like water.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 08:15:01 am »
Some have suggested it, and it wouldn't surprise me.
SEG4GES