Author Topic: SEGA Megadrive mini - 80 games preloaded, plays original carts.  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Someone spotted this... SEGA doing what Nintendon't again. Comes with two controllers, 80 preloaded games and takes original Megadrive carts.... The one downside is, it's ugly. Wish they had made it look like a Megadrive.

http://realgamemedia.com/listing-for-sega-classic-mega-drive-console-pre-loaded-with-80-games-spotted-online/
Made by SEGA

Offline ElkPlaysAndPaints

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: SEGA Megadrive mini - 80 games preloaded, plays original carts.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 02:23:07 pm »
This looks like the exact same Atgames Genesis console from last year that also included the Mortal Kombat trilogy. All that's changed is the packaging. I guess it's gonna take a while longer before Sega actually starts following Nintendo's example with the NES Mini.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 04:57:12 pm »
I don't expect them to do a GENESIS Mini... No point, you can get those games on Steam.
Made by SEGA

Offline ElkPlaysAndPaints

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 01:01:40 am »
I don't expect them to do a GENESIS Mini... No point, you can get those games on Steam.

That's sort of a good point. There's 58 games from Sega on Steam, so just plug in your favorite USB Genesis controller and go to town. Still, it couldn't hurt to have a solution for the less tech savvy people who aren't PC gamers.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 06:14:51 am »

I would say that @Games thing IS the solution for those people. They aren't going to care much for the final details of what it looks like or specs or whatever. But no it would be cool if it was a bit better, granted.
Made by SEGA

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 07:55:41 am »
With Sonic Mania coming to the PC, I'm really tempted to buy a USB Mega Drive controller now to get the feel back too. For the price, this is rather good though. Especially with the original consoles being tricky to get working at times on certain TV's.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 08:46:13 am »
Sharky, you are missing the point of the mini NES. It's not about the games. Shitty almost 40 year old games of which you can download by the thousands in minutes and stick them in 1% of your wristwatch storage capacity aren't the least exciting unless you played them when you were a kid, which if you did, you probably can already play them in a million other places right now.

The point of this device is to re-live the experience of getting a NES, having a cool box, connecting it to the TV, feeling the controller and just having that nostalgic feeling bring back memories.

I can't experience that on a shitty atGames plastic block with shitty sound chips and shitty wireless controllers that feel like shit, all connected in glorious RCA so that it looks even shittier than it did 25 years ago.

EDIT:
I want a small MegaDrive that looks like an actual MegaDrive. I want highquality landscape picture (HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS) through HDMI. I want to feel the BASS through my subwoofer, cristal clear stereo sounds. I want those robust Sega MegaDrive controllers, fitted with modern USB leads. I want to relive the MegaDrive experience as if it was released today.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:49:55 am by crackdude »
SEG4GES

Offline Sharky

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 09:12:59 am »
Eh. I've got 3 actual Megadrives I can plug in and play.
Made by SEGA

Offline Tad

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 09:39:27 am »

EDIT:
I want a small MegaDrive that looks like an actual MegaDrive. I want highquality landscape picture (HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS) through HDMI. I want to feel the BASS through my subwoofer, cristal clear stereo sounds. I want those robust Sega MegaDrive controllers, fitted with modern USB leads. I want to relive the MegaDrive experience as if it was released today.

That would be fairly easy. Get an old Mega Drive, take the case off, stick a raspberry pi in there that has the games and emulation, wireless Mega drive control and you're sorted ;)

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 11:00:47 am »
Eh. I've got 3 actual Megadrives I can plug in and play.
Are they brand new in boxed mint condition?
Do they have HDMI out? Do they have perfect crystal graphics in new HDTVs?
Do they fit in your pocket and contain 30+ games, making them ultraportable for gaming with friends?

no :(
That's the point of the mini NES.
SEG4GES

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 11:01:23 am »
That would be fairly easy. Get an old Mega Drive, take the case off, stick a raspberry pi in there that has the games and emulation, wireless Mega drive control and you're sorted ;)
This is actually a pretty neat idea. Gonna think about it.
SEG4GES

Offline Sharky

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 02:25:25 pm »
Are they brand new in boxed mint condition?
Do they have HDMI out? Do they have perfect crystal graphics in new HDTVs?
Do they fit in your pocket and contain 30+ games, making them ultraportable for gaming with friends?

no :(
That's the point of the mini NES.

No but I've got every Genesis game on Steam with a bunch of great mods and can log into it anywhere. I would never buy a Genesis Mini or anything Mini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85fILN_m5pg
Made by SEGA

Offline Tad

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 04:10:00 pm »
Shame to see Jim take a dig at Sonic like that. I always have time to hear his views, but that seemed really cheap.

Besides that though, I thought the video was good as usual from Jim. Emulation is always a tricky one for me as I can see both sides of the argument. Some games that are brought back are ridiculously expensive yet done on the cheap (Nintendo!), while others aren't even available unless they're second hand, ridiculously expensive and the devs see nothing of the money anyway.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 04:55:07 pm »
You wouldn't because it isn't aimed at you. That's why this atgames machine doesn't hold a candle next to the mini NES, it fails to attract its main market.

Jim is a shitlord with lame opinions. He has zero credibility whatsoever
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 05:19:33 pm »
I did lose a lot of interest in Jim's work during the whole Digital Homicide thing. I completely agree with Jim on DH, but it's the way he keeps going on and on about these poor games that don't belong on markets like Steam. Sure, I see his point in bringing them to the front to show Valve up, but he's also pretty much made himself just as bad with spamming his content with the same rambles with another equally poor game. It's easy and lazy work from him, when he's shown to be quite capable of making good arguments from time to time.