Author Topic: Toshihiro Nagoshi - "10 years ago Sega almost quit the consumer business"  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
From Google Translate:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201605/25104646.html

Not sure if that is accurate, but

" Yakuza " is, it is because the billboard title of Sega's consumer game is now. Nagoshi 10 years and a little ago, IP is depleted, I think that thing called Sega brand there was a time that was nearly lost. " Yakuza ", while endure such a painful scene, " Phantasy Star has been made" and, to grow the foundation, such as smart phones for the game. There was also the voice of such as "or quit the consumer business" went up, but when I quit, I think that it has become very thing. When the business of something tough is born new content and business, it will support the company. If there is business to prosperity forever, there is no business that is recessed forever. That was 10 years while realize something that company, and. Looking at the current situation where performance has been recovered by a little, " Yakuza " I feel that it was possible one of the play a role in Sega.

From how I understand it, Sega saw Yakuza basicilly as a saviour, and as a last chance for their console business.

I think this is very troubling...in the sense how Sega's mindset was (or still is?), in the sense of not questioning their commercial failures on their circumstances, despite high critical acclaim. Not to mention the Japan centric view of everything.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 12:28:44 pm by Trippled »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
As much as I like the Yakuza series, I think you have to take what Nagoshi says with a grain of salt. He's obviously motivated to portray himself as instrumental in rescuing Sega from oblivion. The man tans so much that it's said that you can vaguely hear a frying sound when he stands next to you (I made that part up).

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Some say he's not actually tanned, just related to a cheetos.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
I am going to go out on a limb and say this is a mistranslation.
Made by SEGA

Offline andreli.

• Total Meseta: 1
I've been a long time lurker. Back from the Sega Nerds days haha. I have a decent level of Japanese reading ability, and have lived in Japan before. I decided to help out with the translation of the article. I'm far from any expert, and I shouldn't be quoted on anything! Just my idea of what Nagoshi was saying. I translated the parts of the interview that I had a good understanding of, not all of it.
As for the consumer business possibly stopping 10 years ago:
   The IP was drying up and their was a time when Sega was losing its way with their brand. Ryu Ga Gotoku, Phantasy Star, and mobile smartphone games created a foundation.  Voices arose with questions that the consumer business might stop. If that stopped there would be many difficulties. When business is in hard times, new content is created to support the company. (He then says something about the theory of long term successful companies, but I had a hard time understanding that). If you look at the present slow recovery, he feels that Ryu Ga Gotoku has been one part of that recovery.
 (The interviewer told Nagoshi that Ryu Ga Gotoku is something like Sega's consumer business' billboard. Nagoshi was not exactly asked a question, and then he replied with the above statement about the consumer business)

What has changed and what has not changed in the past 10 years:
   From the start, the fan base had many users who where in their thirties. He now sees a trend of users in their twenties beginning to pick up the series. Those users began playing withe "Zero" and "Goku".

Random replies I understood well..
-Nagoshi states that the series will not contain themes of drug use, the death of children, or themes that bring a feeling of disgust. He is baffled by the direction of foreign countries' culture by including such things. (I'm not certain of any particular countries he is pointing out) 
- The Asian market for the series is really heating up. He was surprised by the sells "Goku" and "Zero" in the Asian markets. The Ryu Ga Gotoku series has recently had a presence in events held in Taiwan and Hong Kong. Fans at those events clearly knew who he was and asked for autographs.
- The interviewer states that the series is gaining momentum in North America and Europe, stating the applause given to the series during the Playstation Experience event. Nagoshi states that he does not exactly feel that way even with applause given. He would not say the situation is good. (DONT take that statement too literally, its hard to translate perfectly for me) He still wants  to improve the appeal of the series in North America and Europe.
- From the start the series was made for Japanese adult men. The European, American, and Asian markets were cast aside. Japanese and Asian players have different incentives to buy the game. If you analyse the data, oversees sells are possible.
- If a good plan for smartphone arises he wants to do that. He doesn't think working on smart phone content is impossible.

There's quite a bit more that seems interesting, but I wrote down what I could read well. If I really wanted to I can attempt the other stuff later.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:19:30 am by andreli. »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Yes, Sega was bust in 04-07. And a few single IPs kept the dream alive in that period. Things have been getting better along the years, and the current mindset is much different.
SEG4GES

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Thanks andreli! That seems like a more reasonable statement from Nagoshi. Regarding what he said about long-term successful companies, judging by the Google translation, I would speculate that he is simply saying that companies have their ups and downs over the long term.

Offline andreli.

No problem. It was fun to translate what I did. Just takes time haha. Yeah, I believe that is what he said as well. It's a very in depth interview and I'm sure Japanese fans are really digging into it.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Thanks a tonne for clearly that up for us, andreli! Don't be a stranger!
Made by SEGA

Offline andreli.

For sure! I enjoy your website and from reading the forums you have a  good group of guys/gals here. I'll try to be more active in the future.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Please do. If you don't, Barry will hurt us.

;)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
I can give bling just as fast as I can take it away!