Author Topic: Stories International SEGA Movies General Discussion  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Stories International SEGA Movies General Discussion
« on: April 29, 2016, 03:13:00 pm »
Who are 'Stories International'?
Stories International a subsidiary of the eighth largest advertising company in the world
and legendary video game publisher SEGA.

They are at the forefront of adapting Japanese intellectual properties into English-language film, television, and digital series for worldwide audiences. With multiple SEGA video game properties and access to extensive Japanese IP, they aim to inspire audience around the world. Tomoya Suzuki, CEO, is repped by CAA.

Stories International Website: http://www.stories-llc.com/

What SEGA Games are they currently turning into feature films?

-SHINOBI
Producer: Marc Platt (Wanted, Drive, and Bridge of Spies)

“We love the Shinobi games and believe that the world of ninjas has never been properly explored onscreen,” said Platt in making the announcement. “We now have the opportunity to do just that. With Shinobi, we hope to make a film that honors the essence of the games.”

Synopsis:
The Shinobi games typically star someone from the Oboro clan seeking revenge against a rival clan or opponent to right some past wrong. The team really does have a blank slate creatively, and if the action is up to par, I'm sure they could bring the character back to relevance once again.

--------------------

-Rent A Hero
Director: Steve Pink (Hot Tub Timemachine, High Fidelity Grosse Point Blank), Jeff Morris (The True Memiors of an International Assassin)

Pink explains, “As SEGA fans, we are excited to dive into the near future with these RENT A HEROES, and explore what it means to be an everyday hero in a comedic, high-energy, action adventure.” Suzuki adds, “RENT A HERO is high-concept video game, yet has a very important theme we believe audiences today can connect with—we can help our society at our own capacities. We found the perfect creative team in Steve and Jeff to bring this unique action adventure based on one of our favorite SEGA titles to life as a feature film.”

Synopsis:

RENT A HERO tells the story of a reluctant slacker genius who joins a high-tech startup pitched as an “Uber for heroes,” aimed to improve people’s daily lives at an affordable price. But when company insiders plan to weaponize the tech, the slacker and his fellow Rent A Heroes must band together to stop them.

What Other SEGA IP's could be in the pipeline?

Stories Interactive are currently considering, (but aren't limited too) these named SEGA IP's:
-Golden Axe
-Crazy Taxi
-Virtua Fighter
-The House of the Dead
-Streets of Rage
-Altered Beast

What about Sonic?
A Sonic film is currently in production by SEGA's Marza Animation Planet and Sony.

---

What SEGA games would you like to see become a feature film or series?

Personally I would love a Skies of Arcadia animated series and I would like to see Golden Axe live action in a similar style to Vikings or Game of Thrones.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:35:56 pm by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
To quote my news bit,

If the movie isn’t two hours of Joe Musashi fighting dodgy clones of Godzilla, Batman, and Rambo, all on horse-back, I’m not seeing it.

In all seriousness, I dunno what to expect from this. Goofy and lighthearted? Kinda dark but still has corny moments? Total self-absorbed edginess? Who knows, honestly?

Offline Sharky

They have enough of a blank slate, I hope they go dark but with a stylish sort of cheese to it. It needs to be over the top... If they could just sit down and play Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master and then translate that game into a film I'd be happy.
Made by SEGA

Offline allenpergallon

• Total Meseta: 0
This'll be a strange one, I can't really think of any recent not-TMNT major motion pictures with ninjas as a central focus...maybe Ninja Assassin in like '09? It's hard to really fathom what this could entail, but if I had to guess I imagine it would likely take the more serious tone found in the PS2 Shinobi or the semi-serious tone in Nightshade above anything else.

EDIT: Actually I just remembered the second G.I. Joe that came out not too long ago had a focus on ninjas from what I've seen of it. Probably not the best candidate to take inspiration from, but I suppose they wouldn't have to go completely dark and serious to make something entertaining. I wish I had more experience with ninja films in general to grasp at a better idea.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:53:25 am by allenpergallon »

Offline MrTechnoSqueek

• It's Thinking...
I guess they could make about set evil ninjas stealing little children since that was pretty much the first game.
PSN:TechnoSqueek
XBL:Techno Squeek
Steam:technosqueek

Offline FlareHabanero

• Total Meseta: 4
  • Resident of Puyo Hell
I guess they could make about set evil ninjas stealing little children since that was pretty much the first game.
That's boring.

I want Joe Mushashi to fight against the most evil force there is: Copyright laws. Just like in The Revenge of Shinobi.

Offline Clint Forrester

Total self-absorbed edginess?
Knowing Hollywood, this is the most likely scenario to expect.

I would prefer it to be like an 80's ninja movie though, since that is what the classic games were based on.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: General Stories International SEGA Movies Discussion
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 06:52:26 pm »
Seeing as Rent A Hero the movie is now a thing, I thought I'd dig up this thread for Shinobi and make it the general thread for Stories International news. Here's our Rent A Hero story: http://segabits.com/blog/2016/07/11/stories-international-to-adapt-segas-rent-a-hero-into-a-movie/

After Shinobi, I expected Crazy Taxi or Golden Axe. Rent A Hero is an obscure and bizarre pick, given it never had a Western release so nobody knows what the hell it is. Basically, this movie will only succeed based on the concept... which thankfully is pretty cool. I'm hoping for a Kickass or Mystery Men sort of vibe, really hoping that we don't see an Adam Sandler sort of production (the writer is working on a Kevin James movie for Netflix).

This is good news, though. Prior to Rent A Hero, we thought Stories International had only planned to focus on popular titles and titles specifically mentioned in their initial press release. But now, with Rent A Hero, I think anything is possible.

Offline Sharky

Re: General Stories International SEGA Movies Discussion
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 08:19:19 pm »
I do wonder if these films will every materialise... I remember many years back they planned Shinobi, Crazy Taxi and such for feature films and the only thing that came from it was that god awful director getting his hands on House of the Dead.
Made by SEGA

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Stories International SEGA Movies General Discussion
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 03:42:19 am »
Hot Tub Timemachine was a shitty movie.
SEG4GES

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 11:35:02 am »
Marc Platt is the producer, not the director for Shinobi. They haven't announced a director yet. The only upcoming Sega movie that has a director attached to it is Rent-A-Hero.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 10:36:41 pm »
Thanks, its been changed.
Made by SEGA