Author Topic: EA taking a wait and see stance with VR because market not big enough  (Read 2589 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Well not really wait and see, but i'm sure they'd jump on the bandwagon if it ends up being a bigger market than they expect.

"There's some challenges still and I think the biggest challenge is just the size of the market. We don't make games anymore for the Wii or the Wii U because the market is not big enough, the PS Vita - the Sony product - we don't make games for that anymore because the market is too small, so it's all about the size of the market," said Blake Jorgensen during the UBS Global Technology Conference.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-11-16-ea-cfo

Tbh I still cant see VR getting big either. Do you think EA is makign the right prediction here? What do you expect from VR?

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: EA taking a wait and see stance with VR because market not big enough
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 02:08:37 am »
I think it's the right approach. I'm sure VR is fun, but I can't see many practical uses for it beyond being in first person mode in games. Also, it might just be me, but I'm not too sure on the idea anyway.

It sounds cool, but when you think about it more, a lot of issues start to appear.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 06:07:13 am »
I first tried VR when I was a kid. It was 1999, and there was a working prototype in France. I was there on vacation and was able to try it out. It was very basic at the time, I remember quite well they made test maps on the Doom engine. It had very little head tracking, mostly just rotational on one axis. But being able to determine distances just by looking "far away" was amazing.

16 years have passed. I think we are on the verge of VR becoming a mainstream thing. It has SO MANY applications in entertainment and industry it's mind-boggling.
Personally I'm interested in it as I believe it will be possible at some point to have "infinite" workspace on a virtual environment. So instead of having 4 monitors or so, you just "look" at virtual screen real-estate. This is an amazing concept I'm looking forward to.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 06:41:49 am »
I tested VR at my local Science Museum as a kid, must have been the late 90s as well. They had a special presentation and I was one of two lucky kids to get up on stage and try it out. It had head tracking, and I held two hand controls that moved my feet and arms. It was very basic, you could climb to the top of a building and take a hang glider off the rooftop and ride it to the ground below.