Author Topic: The future of Sega game development, condensed in a few questions  (Read 17755 times)

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
So a famous Jap gaming magazines asked a bunch of direct questions to prominent directors and producers who work in high profile developers and publishers, Sega included, specifically Satoshi Sakai and Toshihiro Nagoshi.

What were the questions they were asked?

Pretty good ones, specific ones like "When are you making more Panzer Dragoon or Dragon focused games" or "How about Phantasy Star games that aren't MMO shit" or more broad questions like "Is Team Yakuza thinking of new IPs?"

The answers came in all sorts and shapes but really, the collective of it all amounted to a big, resounding and conclusive "Not fucking happening."

■ Sega’s Satoshi Sakai
Q: Are you not releasing any more games in the Phantasy Star Online Portable series? We want some non-Phantasy Star Online 2 consumer games.
A: There are unfortunately no current plans. If we feel like there is something necessary in the flow of the Phantasy Star Online 2 series, then maybe we’ll make something.
Q: We want to see another game with a dragon lead character like Panzer Dragoon.
A: I would like to make it, but I’m sorry to say we’re in a difficult place for something like that to sell.
■ Sega’s Toshihiro Nagoshi
Q: Is Yakuza Studio considering any new IPs?
A: The basic no comment, but we’re considering it.
Q: Will Yakuza 2 also receive a full remake?
A: First we’ll release Kiwami, and it’ll depend on the response of that.

http://gematsu.com/2015/10/dengeki-playstation-creators-questionnaire-level-5-capcom-square-enix-koei-tecmo-sce-more

Here's the link for other questions. The other piece of awesome news is that Capcom gave the same kind of depressing as fuck answers.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: The future of Sega game development, condensed in a few questions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 02:14:35 am »
Wow what a fucking surprise, a franchise which last came out 13 years ago and sold like shit isn't getting a sequel.
Not only that, dragon games are historically failures, even Crimson Dragon made by ex-PD devs.

Also, why would you want a PS Portable when you have PSO2 and Nova on the Vita (this being a japanese magazine). This is a bait question, since the answer will always be negative.
I'd rather know if there is interest on a big classic SP RPG like PS5 or something. That would be a question worth asking.

The Yakuza ones are interesting.
"I can't respond to that, but yes".
SEG4GES

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 02:17:41 am »
Btw, not trashing Crimson Dragon, since it looks nice to many PD fans. But the general market responded with a resounding "meh", and I wonder if they got any profit out of it at all
SEG4GES

Offline Phantasos

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 07:24:39 am »
Wow what a fucking surprise, a franchise which last came out 13 years ago and sold like shit isn't getting a sequel.
Not only that, dragon games are historically failures, even Crimson Dragon made by ex-PD devs.

Considering when Crimson Dragon first came out, it  was a motion controlled broken piece of shit, I'm surprised the response wasn't worse. Which it was if memory serves. By the time they fixed the game with patches the size of entire games, no one cared anymore. Its failure wasn't indicative that the rail shooter genre is dead, it was indicative that it fucking sucked. Entirely because of Microsoft's meddling, but it sucked non-the less.

No one's saying that it's not a niche genre, it's a fucking rail shooter, it couldn't be more niche but there are still franchises alive in this day and age since they're handled the way they should. Not like a AAA monster hit. There's literally nothing stopping Sega from doing it. But their idea of ROI is something that can only involve millions.

The new IP Yakuza answer is a complete non-answer but it's interesting if only because of that mix we had about a new IP from the Yakuza team before TGS.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:46:34 pm by Phantasos »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 11:17:09 am »
No one's saying that it's not a niche genre, it's a fucking rail shooter, it couldn't be more niche but there are still franchises alive in this day and age since they're handled the way they should. Not like a AAA monster hit. There's literally nothing stopping Sega from doing it. But their idea of ROI is something that can only involve millions.

I don't think that's really fair, considering Miku only does like 300,000 sales at most, 7th Dragon is on it's fourth game and hasn't managed more than 150,000 in any release. Sonic and Phantasy Star aside, SEGA Japan's biggest series Yakuza barely breaks past 600,000 units in it's homeland, so it's not like their expectations are crazy high.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why a Panzer Dragoon game isn't being made anymore but I don't think one of them have to do with crazy expectations, more so to do with the fact the original team is no longer at SEGA and/or they are better off developing other games/series more people are willing to play.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 04:58:32 pm »
The Yakuza ones are interesting.
"I can't respond to that, but yes".

How the heck did you get a yes out of "we're considering it?"

Look, the basic frustration with current Sega is that they've become too focused on spitting out franchise entries (and of course, that they don't bring their games to the west).  The new Sonic game better be something because I'm currently looking forward to zero of their games.  And no, Persona 5 doesn't count. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:01:47 pm by Radrappy »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 05:07:49 pm »
I don't think there is much of a market for a rail shooter, I mean look at Star Fox Zero, we all just want a basic rail shooter like the N64 one but their adding all this nonsense that people don't want to make it 'fresh'.

Honestly think if SEGA made a mid budget Panzer Dragoon with a good soundtrack, good design and interesting new systems (deeper evolving dragons) it might do well. But in the end, look at Crimson Dragon, it was a huge bomb or look at how many people funded Shenmue 3 on kickstarter (less than 70k and Shenmue is a bigger fanbase than Panzer Dragoon).

I think SEGA should be smart if they bring a game back and doing a new Panzer Dragoon might make us happy, but I'll tell you right now if it bombs hard (which 80% chance it will) it will make them even more conservative than they are now.

As for the typical "LOL SEGA DONT LIKE MONIES!", the era that Panzer Dragoon came out was the era that SEGA started losing a ton of cash.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 05:22:32 pm »
Honestly think if SEGA made a mid budget Panzer Dragoon with a good soundtrack, good design and interesting new systems (deeper evolving dragons) it might do well.

I think this is a brilliant solution.  It's the same problem big budgeted hollywood movies are having right now.  You don't need to break the bank to make a great game. 

Capcom actually did a wonderful job with Resident Evil Revelations 2.  Bite sized episodic chunks can be released in a way that allows for simpler and cheaper production that still yields great results. 

Offline Trippled

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 05:49:08 pm »
In 2008, the Orta producer was asked about a new game, and he said: "We haven't considered not to make it"...kinda says alot, by now I'm sure the franchise is completly of their eyes.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 06:36:03 pm »
How the heck did you get a yes out of "we're considering it?"
The question was "are you considering", so "we're considering" is a "yes". I don't see the issue
SEG4GES

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 06:37:29 pm »
And no, Persona 5 doesn't count. 
"Sega sucks, the only Sega games I like don't count, so it sucks."
SEG4GES

Offline Phantasos

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 06:49:35 pm »
I don't think that's really fair, considering Miku only does like 300,000 sales at most, 7th Dragon is on it's fourth game and hasn't managed more than 150,000 in any release. Sonic and Phantasy Star aside, SEGA Japan's biggest series Yakuza barely breaks past 600,000 units in it's homeland, so it's not like their expectations are crazy high.

That's all the more frustrating, though. I know i pulled the old "THEY ONLY MAKE AAA GAMES" argument but they've actually do a lot of mid tier projects with a specific niche. So why the fuck do they pull the "no sales" angle when it comes to a series that's established as their flagship rail shooter series? It's not going to sell much, just make a game according to their expectations, it's how they make Yakuza work. It's a fucking good looking game and it has top notch gameplay but it's obviously a cheaper game compared to GTA or Final Fantasy. Basically what George said.

Except the bit about Crimson Dragon. Once again, that game was sabotaged by Microsoft in every way that counts, whether you're talking about how they forced the game from the 360 to a launch Xbone game, killing the install base to shit, or how they completely butchered the gameplay by forcing them to make the game based around motion controls since Kinect was totally the future or how coupled with both these facts, add a console launch so universally shitty, it made the PS3 look good in comparison. Literally every factor was against it and not necessarily because of the devs themselves. The patches were stretched out in a big period of time and they basically only fixed on thing at a time. It's a pretty good game now but the damage is done. If anything, it's a good case study that showcases everything you shouldn't do with a niche title to begin with.

I don't think there is much of a market for a rail shooter, I mean look at Star Fox Zero, we all just want a basic rail shooter like the N64 one but their adding all this nonsense that people don't want to make it 'fresh'.

That's all optional crap that Nintendo loves to add  just for the sake of giving the idea that they're still "innovators". They did the same thing with Starfox 64 3D but retained the basic controls that made it so great. Starfox 0 has those shitty gyro controls but its main controls are classic. They even hired Platinum Games to help with the core gameplay. I'm not worried about Starfox 0, it looks like a great return to form after all those shitty ideas they had for the series.

Offline Phantasos

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 06:51:33 pm »
Why are we even talking about Persona 5? It's a cheap series, it sells by the shit ton, it's relegated to Atlus when it comes to everything that's localizing, publishing and development. No, it shouldn't count because it's his own separate thing. If anything Atlus should teach Sega a thing or two.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 07:03:24 pm »
The question was "are you considering", so "we're considering" is a "yes". I don't see the issue

I see, I thought you meant to infer they were indeed making new IPS.

"Sega sucks, the only Sega games I like don't count, so it sucks."

Since the discussion is about Sega's track record and future, I don't think any one here would consider P5 as part of the conversation.  It's a great franchise but to consider it reflective of Sega's powers as a development studio would be ridiculous at this point.  It was in development LONG before the acquisition even.   

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 02:30:34 am »
I'm going to be honest, its weird that they would ask about Panzer Dragoon coming back and not something more marketable like Jet Set Radio. I love rail shooters but they always sell very low. I mean, SEGA did try with Afterburner Climax awhile back and there have been a few rail shooters released around that time.

Do you really think people will pay 40> dollars for a rail shooter?