Author Topic: Sonic Lost World gets a PC Port  (Read 27663 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Sonic Lost World gets a PC Port
« on: October 06, 2015, 05:03:16 pm »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-06-sonic-lost-world-is-coming-to-pc

Wasn't this game a Nintendo-only title? Well, anyway for those who couldn't get on the Wii U, Sonic Lost World is another SEGA game that gets a PC port some time after it's original console release.

Price is about 20£ / 25USD / 22€, includes DLC and will be out on November 2nd 2015.

Offline Radrappy

Re: Sonic Lost World gets a PC Port
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 05:10:13 pm »
Im just gonna paste what I wrote on the front page:

"Pretty happy about this. With the low wiiu install base, a huge chunk of the sonic fandom hasn’t played this game.  It is very divisive in terms of enjoyment but is a great conversation piece concerning the future of the franchise."

I personally really enjoyed this game.  It had a lot of great ideas mixed up with poor level design.  As someone who was boosted out of the boost games when this came out, I was very ready to embrace a slower more deliberate gameplay style.  I hope they don't ditch the things they've learned from SLW completely with next year's inevitable game. 

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 05:11:33 pm »
I'll say it again as I did on the article.

Who asked for this, and where did Sega see a demand for it?

I mean, it's a average game, nothing too awful...but there so many better candidates, especially in light of the HOTD and VC ports around the same time years prior.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 05:15:07 pm »
Nobody had to ask for this, its Sonic, it'll sell better than every other game people are asking for.
Made by SEGA

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 05:25:21 pm »
Oh well, at least Gamatsutra confirmed that Sega is to continue bringing more games over, so more games are a given....eventually.

Offline Deefy

• SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 09:03:00 pm »
I'm happy about this port, or rather quite pleased, mostly since I have resisted to buy a Wii U and now I will be able to play it on the PC.

On the other hand, however, this is still a small consolation compared to what I would expect from SEGA and that could realistically produce and offer ... but in these days better settle  :(
SEGA STYLE

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 09:36:27 pm »
This is a smart move, my only issue is that the shortcomings of the game aren't going to be addressed. Its nice that its coming to PC tho.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 10:28:39 pm »
Usually I double dip with this kind of stuff. But since the game already runs at 60fps on wii u, plus the visual being simple to take advantage of higher resolutions, ill pass.

Good for the people who dont have a wii u tho. Hope ya'll enjoy it

Offline max_cady

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 02:12:19 am »
I guess since SEGA had to delay their 3DS Sonic Boom title that left a vancancy for their mandatory yearly Sonic release. A PC port is a somewhat low risk investment that hopefully will bring some much needed coinage.

I don't expect this to do Valkyria Chronicles bussiness since the Sonic brand is a considerably more damaged atm (no thanks to SB: Rise of Lyric), but a good enough PC port should at least fix some broken hearts.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 03:00:38 am »

I don't expect this to do Valkyria Chronicles bussiness since the Sonic brand is a considerably more damaged atm (no thanks to SB: Rise of Lyric), but a good enough PC port should at least fix some broken hearts.

I genuinely don't think the Sonic brand is as damaged as people think, on the internet, in videogame forums sure, right now it's in the gutter but out there in the real world? Sonic Boom cartoon is one of the most popular cartoons for its age range and Sonic Dash has been downloaded over 140 million times. Sonic is probably more recognisable right now amongst kids than he has been in a good decade.
Made by SEGA

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 04:03:41 am »
You probably shouldn't pre-purchase the game yet if you don't live in the UK. SEGA messed up the price outside of that. In the US it's $29.99 and in Europe €29.99 right now, while according to the press release it should be $24.99 and €22.99 respectively.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:31:56 am »
I'll say it again as I did on the article.

Who asked for this, and where did Sega see a demand for it?

I mean, it's a average game, nothing too awful...but there so many better candidates, especially in light of the HOTD and VC ports around the same time years prior.

It's particularly perplexing because not only was the game a critical failure but also a commercial bomb.

So they'd rather take to porting this game than say Sonic Colours which was both a critical and commercial success, and if they were willing to overlook critical success then Sonic Unleashed is a candidate too.

Might dip into it when it's a bit lower, heard the opening portion is good at least.

Offline Tad

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 11:25:55 am »
Sonic LW, to me, felt more like a prototype with loads of different ideas then a solid game. Some of it worked, other parts not so well. The bigger news for me here is the comment on SEGA bringing more games across to the PC.

Offline Tad

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 11:36:26 am »
I genuinely don't think the Sonic brand is as damaged as people think, on the internet, in videogame forums sure, right now it's in the gutter but out there in the real world? Sonic Boom cartoon is one of the most popular cartoons for its age range and Sonic Dash has been downloaded over 140 million times. Sonic is probably more recognisable right now amongst kids than he has been in a good decade.

I have to agree. In the Sonic "circle" they were spitting feathers out years ago, but the rest found them fine. The only real damaging games they've had is Sonic 06, SB:ROL and that's about it. To the rest of the world, the other Sonic games ranged from decent to good.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 12:20:55 pm »
It's particularly perplexing because not only was the game a critical failure but also a commercial bomb.

I'm assuming its because

- It was built with a pc port in mind whereas Unleashed/Colors were not.
- the game is still relatively new and still somewhat in the public space.
- they felt that the game was a commercial flop because of the hardware it was shackled to.