Author Topic: CoH2: The British are Coming  (Read 10263 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
CoH2: The British are Coming
« on: July 03, 2015, 09:04:35 am »

https://twitter.com/companyheroes/status/616679583069417474

This is the first official hint/announcement/recognition of the British Faction coming to CoH2.

(In truth most/all fans already know about it because of various leaks and rumours).

What do you want to see?

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: CoH2: The British are Coming
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 08:58:03 pm »
Made by SEGA

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 09:33:15 pm »
British Commandos or GTFO

I want to play as David Stirling dammit

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 07:45:02 am »
'Mad Jack' as a general, this guy was straight up badass:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2591552/World-War-2-hero-Mad-Jack-Churchill-named-one-worlds-greatest-adventurers.html

Haha, I've read about this guy before, it's incredible. Doubt we'll be seeing that in CoH2, he'd be OP.

British Commandos or GTFO

I want to play as David Stirling dammit

There are pictures of the Glider up as well now, so pretty sure the Commandos are coming back! They were awesome in CoH1!

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 05:39:11 am »
Company of Heroes is an RTS, right? I had never heard of it prior to Sega publishing the sequel (General Winter being added to All-Stars Transformed helped). I've never really played that many RTS games, the only one off the top of my head is the fan-made HL2 RTS, Lambda Wars, which I enjoyed a good bit.

Unless I'm wrong and this isn't an RTS at all. If it's not, what exactly is the appeal of it?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 07:46:06 am »
Company of Heroes is an RTS, right? I had never heard of it prior to Sega publishing the sequel (General Winter being added to All-Stars Transformed helped). I've never really played that many RTS games, the only one off the top of my head is the fan-made HL2 RTS, Lambda Wars, which I enjoyed a good bit.

Unless I'm wrong and this isn't an RTS at all. If it's not, what exactly is the appeal of it?

It's an RTS, but with a focus on tactics more than strategy. There is no real base building or resource gathering, instead your income depends on controlling the fuel and munition caches around the map.

You have to take into account things like cover and distance for units, so it's very different the usual RTS fare.

If you've never played an RTS before, it's not a bad place to start, but be wary that it's quite unique to other RTS games.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 07:56:15 am »
I am a fan of tactic-y games. I might try it out.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:18:59 am »
CoH2 a very good place to start, it's sort of like an RTS version of capture the flag where you and your teammates have to capture and hold points of the map. While you hold them your supplies go up faster affording you better units, but your enemies are trying to do the same thing. This creates a fast paced, action filled game with conflict points all over the map and a constant moving front line without all the faffing of base building. Really fun.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 07:28:07 am »
>HD 1080p
>For audio only

I love youtube sometimes.

Also apparently the British had some leak that makes their air support sound utterly broken. Will we see Lancaster Bombers just carpet boming the shit out of the map?

Also the patch notes leaked a while ago PM me if you want the details, or use some google skillz. It reveals a lot of units and abilities.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 09:43:29 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y03pgL2Hke4

Awesome little trailer.

Write up from PC Gamer:
http://www.pcgamer.com/company-of-heroes-2-the-british-forces-announced/

According to Relic, the British will feature a "unique tech-tree that challenges the player to balance the constant trade-off between mobility and defense." It will, they say, essentially provide two factions in one—letting the player customise their development in a bid to surprise their opponent. There'll also be eight new maps.
As with previous CoH2 expansions, The British Forces will be a standalone expansion. It'll be available from September 3, and cost £10.

EDIT: These seem relevant again maybe?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:47:06 am by MadeManG74 »

Offline Sharky

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 12:45:24 pm »
That trailer was so good. I've always been fascinated by Winston Churchill. The man delivered some of the finest speeches and quotes in recent history.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 12:47:51 pm »
Agreed! I thought Montgomery's speech was well used in that trailer as well. That really was a good teaser for the content to come.

I do really like that the the expansions so far have all been stand-alone. Means that people can get into the game with just the British faction.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 02:09:33 pm »
From steam, by way of Reddit:

''So the Brits start with an infantry section instead of engineers. 4 man squad but you can upgrade at the HQ to make your infantry/sappers 5 man squads. They can build trenches and have increased rate of fire from behind cover (slight or best depending on light or heavy cover). They can be upgraded to use first aid (costs resources to unlock but free to use in the alpha and they heal in an AOE). Or you can upgrade to use an artillery strike (more on that in a second).

HQ is like the U.S. in a way. The HQ is a truck but it's deployed. There are 2 tents that you need to build to unlock your other units but they're attached to the HQ. You have upgrades at the HQ. Squad size increase, weapons cache, grenade unlocks. Weapons cache is like the U.S. You unlock the ability to purchase Brens or PIATs. PIATs do pretty good damage and also fire faster if your units are behind cover. Problem is they travel in real time so they don't "seek" like bazookas and shrecks do. Brens are kinda like BARs.
Another thing that's cool is when you build a tent in the HQ it also comes with a 25 lb arty gun. There are commander abilities tied to it if you use them but also you can upgrade your infantry sections to call it in. In the alpha it was like 45 munis for a strike. They're fairly inaccurate though.

First tent is a platoon section tent. It allows you to build a sniper, sappers, and it gives you a choice of either an AEC Mk III armored car (think a Puma with less range but comes with smoke escape and a 75mm cannon) or the ability to have your sappers build a Bofors 40mm emplacement (more on that later).
The sniper uses a Boys AT rifle. He is bad ♥♥♥. When it hits infantry it blows off limbs. Also, it gives the ability to damage light vehicles, although not severely. He had an ability to shoot out the engine block though which makes for a great snare unit.

Sappers are a 4 man squad (unless upgraded) and have Sten SMGs. They can build emplacements and a FOB. The emplacements are mortar, 17 pdr, or Bofors 40mm (if you went that route). Emplacements can hold a squad of infantry like a bunker which also unlocks abilities for that emplacement. The mortar emplacement holds 2 mortars. They also have different rounds like smoke, large HE (big boom short range), small HE (long range small boom), and WP/HE mix (if you have a squad inside.) Also having a squad inside increases the RoF. They're ♥♥♥♥ing nasty. The 17 lbr AT gun unlocks when you unlock both tents. Long ♥♥♥ range like the Pak 43 but I don't think it can shoot through shot blockers. Infantry garrisoned in that unlocks a flare to launch so you get maximum range if you don't have scouts. Bofors is AA/AI or light vehicles. When squads are there it unlocks a barrage ability which is weird... shoots some rounds into the air and suppresses an area. Looks goofy. All emplacements get an ability called brace which prevents the emplacements from firing but only takes like 10% damage.

Next is the battalion tent. This is your vehicle tent. You can call in a Crusader mk ii AA tank, a Cromwell, or a Sherman Firefly. It also gives you 2 choices (this is what the store page was referring to when it said the Brits are like 2 factions). Hammer and Anvil. Hammer is attack based, Anvil is defense. You can only choose one of these. Hammer unlocks the ability for all your infantry to carry gammon bombs. They're like satchel charges. Also it gives you the ability to build a Comet heavy tank. Finally, it gives your sappers the ability to install War Emergency Power on vehicles. Think German blitz but free. Very useful. Hammer gives your engineers the ability to repair much faster as well as upgrade to carry a Vickers K LMG, increased sight radius on capture points and the ability to build a Churchill Mk VII heavy tank.

Crusader Mk II is a light infantry and AA vehicle. It has an ability to suppress an area that you draw. Pretty cool. Cromwell is a standard tank and nothing unique. It's fast and does decent damage. Sherman Firefly...oh man, this thing probably will get nerfed on release. It's basically a heavier armored M36 Jackson. Also has the ability to carry Tulip RP-3 rockets. Rocket upgrade is expensive. You used to be able to free fire them but they would 1 shot kill AT guns and stuff so now you can only use them to target vehicles. Still potent as hell. The Comet didn't seem all that special. Like a Cromwell but did more damage and had more frontal armor. The Churchill does meh damage but has a lot of frontal armor. Also can unlock the ability to chuck a grenade out of the hatch to kill close infantry. It has another ability that allows it to belt out thick smoke behind it for a short time to mask infantry behind it :D

The commanders are a bit different than other faction commanders. They work on a regimental level. This means the abilities usually are much bigger but all commander abilities share a cool down. On the lower CP end the timer is short but the later end the timer can be very long.
I don't remember literally every ability but there are quite a lot of awesome ♥♥♥ abilities and units. For instance, Air Supremacy which is like ...all airplanes attacks in the game in 1 ability. A Typhoon will come in and strafe infantry and vehicles with 20mm cannons for like 15 seconds, then another will come in with rockets. Both will fly around tearing an area up until the timer runs out or they get shot down. At the end? 4 Wellingtons fly over and carpet bomb the area. When you call in a vehicle it isn't just that vehicle, it comes with a squad or squads with it. So a Valentine mk iii will come in with a recon squad which can move around in the prone which leaves them cloaked. Churchill AVRE with some sappers or a Churchill Crocodile that have commandos with PIATs (that can swap between PIATs or suppressed Stens depending on what you need). Commando gliders which can be used like OPs in a sector for increased resources plus medics and an officer squad. Sexton artillery with forward observers, fire mortars, all kinds of stuff. They're bad ♥♥♥. Jesus I wrote a lot of ♥♥♥♥. Anyways, if you have any questions just ask :D''
http://steamcommunity.com/app/231430/discussions/0/537402115077469599/