Author Topic: Sega Saturn Graphic In-depth Investigations  (Read 4416 times)

Offline KWL

• Total Meseta: 3
Sega Saturn Graphic In-depth Investigations
« on: May 26, 2015, 03:22:54 am »
Hello, every one!

I'm a Sega fan from Taiwan.
For celebrating the 20th anniversary of Sega Saturn, I made a series of video about Sega Saturn. (in Traditional Chinese.)
Since it this month is the Saturn's 20th anniversary in the US, I translated the one of my video(most popular one) into English.
Below is the link of video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OchOV_WDg

In this video, I will talk about Saturn's graphic performance, and some myth about Saturn,
like "Can Saturn do half-transparent effect?"
This video takes me really a lot of time to make, and made the video in full English is also very tough for me. (I'm not a native English speaker.)
I really hope you like it!

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Sega Saturn Graphic In-depth Investigations
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:43:44 am »
While I don't have time to watch this right now, this seems really interesting! Thanks for sharing and translating!

I would love to get more info on this, since the Saturn was a real powerhouse in terms of graphics, but also had some severe setbacks it seems. When a good developer could really wring it's neck the results were phenomenal (AM2 games, Lobotomy Software games etc).

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:14:39 am »
Brilliant video .The Saturn was a top system but it did have trouble with 3d transparent effect that were warpped around a 3D polygon object . 2D transprent effects as seen in Astal or even the chimney smoke in Grandia no issues what so ever or when one used the the VDP II plane to infront of the polygons.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline DarthTsarkon

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:16:25 pm »
Fantastic video man!! Thanks for putting it together, must have taken a while to complete! Very informative.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:10:41 am »
Great job! The video explains a lot and dispels many incorrect myths. Also I was pleased to see the explanation about affine texture distortion; I always noticed that and wondered about it in PS games.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 03:27:38 am »
"It's a enjoyment to watch people trying to break the hardware limitation, and make some thing incredible."

I'm 100% agree. Even in the 16-bit era, when seeing Sonic 3D Blast, Vectorman, or Donkey Kong Country for the first time always made me, "Wow... Is this game really for 16 -bit console?"

Great video! Thanks !!!