Author Topic: Sonic Franchise-Sales of the games (2010-onwards) 2015 Edition  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
I post this thread in another forum and people seems to like it and start to discuss about that, so I decided to translate all the things that I write in Spanish and post it here.

Well, let's start with a simple question: ¿How much Sonic games sold? From this point we can assume if they are profitable or this franchise is in a low every year.

With the sorrunding informating around Steam sales, the overall perfomance in volumes of units of packaged games in consoles and the state of the IP relevance, I maded a research with this simple conditions:

-Games from 2010-onwards only.
-Counting Packaged games, Pay2Play and Free2Play.
-Certain games will be compared in a special way.
-All the games from that period  are included except digital console ones and Sonic 4 Ep I&II (minus PC) because they were removed from mobile stores and we don't have much information about consoles digital sales although we have "perfomance" but that's for another topic.
-This is not, and I repeat, this is NOT 100% ACCURATE. They are all aproximations.

Finally, a last important point: I'm not post this info for profitability or revenue discussion about Sonic, this is about how much people/units buy those games until today and how much people are willing to play a Sonic game overall in an specific way.

Sources:
-Financial Reports
-Annual Reports
-Press Releases.
-iTunes/Google Play.
-ArsTechnica
-SteamSpy
-VGChartz (NB: Because this site got some infamous reputation, the info that they put will be revised with this constant: -/+ 17% of the total)

Well, let's begin:

Overall Sales from 1st January 2010 to 13th May 2015:
[/size]Packaged games--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Best Selling Version

-Sonic & Sega All Start Racing (Multi): 4.1 Million------------------------------------1.4 million (Wii)

-Sonic Colors (Wii, DS): 3 Million--------------------------------------------------------1.6 million (Wii)

-Sonic Generations (Multi): 4.3 Million--------------------------------------------------1.5 million (PS3)

-Sonic & ASRT (Multi): 2.8 Million------------------------------------------------------0.63 million (PC)

-Sonic Lost World (WiiU, 3DS): 0.9 Million----------------------------------------------0.5 million (3DS)

-Sonic Boom (WiiU,3DS): 0.62 millon--------------------------------------------------0.38 million(WiiU)

-Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Wii,3DS): 4.9 Million----------3.7 million (Wii)

-Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (WiiU): 0.6 Million

-Sonic Free Riders (Kinect): 1.1 Million

Digital Games

-Sonic Jump: 10 Million Downloads

-Sonic & Sega ASR Mobile Version: 17 Million Downloads

-Sonic CD (mobile sales): 1.4 Million Downloads

-Sonic Dash: 100 Million Downloads (aprox.)

-Sonic 1 (mobile sales): 1 Million Downloads

-Sonic 2 (mobile sales): 1.2 Million Downloads

-Sonic ASRT Mobile Version: 15.5 Million Downloads
-Sonic Jump Fever: 30 Million Downloads

-Sonic Runners (Canada and Japan): 0.7 Million Downloads (19/03/15)

Overall performance in mobile phones (F2P): 143.5 Million Downloads

Special: Sales on PC:

-Sonic & SASR: 0.13 Million

-Sonic Adventure DX: 0.39 Million

-Sonic Generations: 0.56 Million

-Sonic 4 Episode I : 0.14 Million

-Sonic CD: 0.15 Million

-Sonic 4 Episode II: 0.13 Million

-Sonic Adventure 2 : 0.25 Million

-Sonic ASRT: 0.63 Million

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: Sonic Franchise-Sales of the games (2010-onwards) 2015 Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:19:46 pm »
Sonic Dash's number of downloads is so damn awesome.

Offline Jumbomax

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Keep Dreaming...
    • My Deviantart.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:27:05 pm »
Sonic Dash's number of downloads is so damn awesome.
Yeah, totally.

This is pretty interesting. Thanks for posting, Nirmugen.

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too and aren't scared to admit it then copy and paste this in your signature.

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 10:39:12 pm »
Ah hell of a post my body  ;)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 11:50:25 am »
Great thread nirmugen. Very interesting to see how sonic racing transformed did best on PC, yet the game as a whole selling worse than its predecessor is sad to see...

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 12:01:47 pm »
I heard Steven leycett saying the mobile version of ASRT also did better than the console version.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 12:23:18 pm »
Good post but let me know where the VGChartz numbers are, those are make believe and created out of thin air numbers unless they manage to get a hold of NPD numbers.

Also Sonic Runners is at 1 million downloads at least, SEGA Japan has a celebration event for it I believe.

EDIT: Also for mobile data (Generally ranking numbers though) Appannie offers an excellent historical data point for games, you'll have to sign up for it but it's pretty comprehensive.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:27:13 pm by Aki-at »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 01:29:00 pm »
Good post, well done! Happy to see Sonic Boom was the worst selling.
Made by SEGA

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 02:50:58 pm »
For the VGChartz Numbers in general: http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Sonic
I clicked and revised every single one because most of time they were no updated or analysed at all.

Counting those was a pain in the ass xD not just for count but also for making the numbers a real thing. Some people who frecuent this site help me with how to deal with information from here.

They take information for both NPD, Media Create and retailers but the way that they handled is more or less poor and someone was hopeful enough to give me that constant to count the games. Sometimes it works but for now this information is not 100% accurate.

I forget to put Appannie as an source. I have already an account for that site. Their information is very good.

The things that i didn't put in the OP were:

-Sonic Dash was 1st in the launch week in almost 100+ countries (Free Apps Ranking)
-Grossing rankings for that app is dispair: In the bigger markets like USA and UK, it ranks between 100 and 250 positions but in more small markets and 3rd World Markets like Brazil and South Asia it ranks between 100 and 10.
-From others apps, is like that information divided by 3.

Thanks for the appreciation, guys! :)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 03:41:22 am »
I don't know if this should be here but according to SEGA's Japanese twitter that "Sega NET Mahjong MJ" mobile title has been downloaded 4 million times:

Translated from google:
" Holiday! 4 million download achieved ☆☆ today than 21 days held / "Sega NET Mahjong MJ' at second anniversary campaign MJ tips big campaign! "

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/601306039078625280

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 08:19:03 pm »
For the VGChartz Numbers in general: http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Sonic
I clicked and revised every single one because most of time they were no updated or analysed at all.

Counting those was a pain in the ass xD not just for count but also for making the numbers a real thing. Some people who frecuent this site help me with how to deal with information from here.
Here's my tip on how to use VGChartz in the best way possible: don't.