Author Topic: Why does Sega not do more licensed phone apps?  (Read 3530 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Why does Sega not do more licensed phone apps?
« on: May 05, 2015, 01:41:19 pm »
I know I'm the guy that hates phone freemium stuff, but why hasn't Sega leveraged it's licensed properties more with this market?

It seems like the casual market has moved to phones so why hasn't Sega made a bunch of Alien and (when they had the license) AVP games for phone?

Is it because they knew they would need to pull it from market when/if they lost the license?

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Why does Sega not do more licensed phone apps?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 01:52:30 pm »
I think those license have to be signed per platform. Like, let's say Alien, I think they only got the license for home consoles and PC? I think they also negotiate with Fox per title and they have a say as well on how their property is used.

Personally think thats a negative when dealing with licenses from other people.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 09:36:12 am »
SEGA's biggest success on the mobile market has been mostly new IPs rather than licensed titles from others or indeed their own catalogue. For every Sonic mobile title they have 5 Chain Chronicle etc and it makes sense, people who are interested in core gaming wouldn't often be interested in mobile titles, dittos with those who want to try something in the Alien universe I feel.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 09:40:21 am »
SEGA's biggest success on the mobile market has been mostly new IPs rather than licensed titles from others or indeed their own catalogue. For every Sonic mobile title they have 5 Chain Chronicle etc and it makes sense, people who are interested in core gaming wouldn't often be interested in mobile titles, dittos with those who want to try something in the Alien universe I feel.

My line of thinking was that licenses are primarily to get attention from people who like the IP and more casual fans. Considering most casual players have moved to mobile gaming, I thought this would be the primary market for licensed games now rather than console/PC.

I can understand not using their own IPs which are all hardcore gamer brands, but stuff like Alien/Marvel etc I thought would have been easy to churn out money makers on phones (think EA and Simpsons Tapped Out).

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 01:48:21 pm »
Well that could happen in the long run.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 05:36:06 pm »

Well some of the line-up in Japan is licenced, I think that Ange Vierge game was a card game from some other company.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 04:02:57 am »
Better to build your own IP's than license others... Licenses can expire or be sold to someone else. I hope SEGA keeps away from most licenses. Aliens and Warhammer I'm okay with. But none of that Marvel trash.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 08:17:41 am »
Better to build your own IP's than license others... Licenses can expire or be sold to someone else. I hope SEGA keeps away from most licenses. Aliens and Warhammer I'm okay with. But none of that Marvel trash.

True, but the fact that they paying for licenses anyway just makes me wonder why they wouldn't leverage to use it on mobile as well. I feel there's more chance of netting casuals with a mobile game than a $60 console/PC game.

Warhammer on mobile phone would work wonders for example. Turn based strategy with a million billion micro-transactions to buy more units and armies.