Author Topic: Virtua Fighter: Pre Beat Tribe Cup - 250 man Team Tournament  (Read 2845 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Virtua Fighter: Pre Beat Tribe Cup - 250 man Team Tournament
« on: April 29, 2015, 12:49:23 pm »
So this just happened last night, for those not familiar, this is an annual tournament that precedes the 'Beat Tribe Cup', which is the biggest VF tournament in the world (Last year has 500+ entrants).

It's a team based tournament of 5 a side, teams are sometimes character based but not always.

There's some really great high-level play on show here, it's being uploaded by the fabulous Oneida to his youtube channel in one hour blocks. The first is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6_Zda5EWP8

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
Re: Virtua Fighter: Pre Beat Tribe Cup - 250 man Team Tournament
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:06:29 pm »
So there IS an annual worldwide Virtua Fighter tournament! I've wondered about this on occasion.

Thanks! I'll take a look.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 01:14:50 pm »
So there IS an annual worldwide Virtua Fighter tournament! I've wondered about this on occasion.

Thanks! I'll take a look.

The biggest is probably Beat Tribe, and this is like a pre-cursor to it. Last year's Beat Tribe is on the same channel I linked in my OP.

There is also the Sega Cup, which is an official Sega-run and sponsored tournament, but I don't know if that's regular or just around launches of games.

Traditionally it's been Japan only, but last year and year before there was a Sega Cup USA and Sega Cup Europe (with about $16k in prize money).

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 11:49:10 pm »
Yeah I was aware of Sega Cup, but unless I'm wrong that's a relatively recent thing right (two years ago?) Does Beat Tribe predate Sega Cup?

Anyway I wonder what kind of characters are represented. Perhaps like Jacky or Taka or high to mid tiers (naturally)? I doubt VF has a problem with characters like some other games might

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 07:34:11 am »
Yeah I was aware of Sega Cup, but unless I'm wrong that's a relatively recent thing right (two years ago?) Does Beat Tribe predate Sega Cup?

Anyway I wonder what kind of characters are represented. Perhaps like Jacky or Taka or high to mid tiers (naturally)? I doubt VF has a problem with characters like some other games might

The character usage isn't skewed heavily towards any one or handful of characters.
There are six pages detailing the full list of teams and players here:
http://beat-tribe.com/contents/teamlist201504291.html

That's page one, the links to the others are at the top. As you can see there is a heavy mix of characters and many teams are uniform characters.

As for how old the Beat Tribe Cup is, it took over from the 'Athena Cup' which dates back to 1994!
Here is a brilliant write up on the history of Beat Tribe and Athena Cup, complete with match videos of top matches/finals:
http://virtuafighter.com/threads/vfr-beat-tribe-cup-chronology.19822/

As for if it's older than Sega Cup, I'm not entirely sure. I know that in the west it's very recent (2013/2014) but in Japan it's older. I don't imagine it's as old as the grass-roots tournaments for VF2 though.

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 07:58:00 pm »
ty bby ;)