Author Topic: Would incorporating VR in Arcades breath new life into the platform?  (Read 8204 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Hey guys/gals, long time no see.

Just had a thought, I'm sure most of you are witnessing the growing popularity of VR, more and more companies are going into the VR market and it's starting to sound like VR will be a big part of gaming's future. Should SEGA capitalize on the VR success and incorporate it in Arcades? I think it would breath new life into the arcade market, here is why:

The VR experience would benefit greatly from certain types of Arcade games that are no longer popular (See: On-rail shooters), I was watching a video with someone riding a bike in GTA V using the Oculus Rift VR headset , and I thought to myself how cool would that be if there was a new Hang-On game in Arcades where on top of the motion controls of the cabinet you get a VR headset for maximum immersion.  If something like that did exist, it would be a great reason to visit the arcades.

Also, VR right now is not exactly mainstream, you need a powerful PC in order to run graphically intensive games at 60+ FPS and high resolution, most of the VR games right now have low graphical fidelity. Even Playstation Morpheus requires you to buy a PS4+Camera+VR Headset, and maybe move controllers. That will deter a lot of potential customers away, having pick up 'n play VR at Arcades with good graphics and immersive control methods will be a fantastic alternative.

What do you think? Would VR in Arcades breath new life into the platform if SEGA utilize it in their IP's in a smart way? (Hang-On/Outrun/AfterBurner, etc...)  Or do you think arcades are pretty much done for?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:48:02 am by Pao »

Offline Pao

Re: Would incorporating VR in Arcades breath new life into the platform?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:47:36 am »
Here is the GTA video, I had it in the OP but it messed up the formatting for some reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJI53DbFQ1Q

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 09:19:21 am »
The biggest issue I can see with it would be using a VR headset after 20 people have already used it that day wouldn't be very pleasant.

Also damage. Some people are just shits and would damage the controller, not to mention just genuine accidents or wear and tear. They seem like they would be a lot more fragile than traditional arcade sticks and buttons.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:22:35 am »
I think there might be a future for something sort of like arcades that features VR, but even if it can succeed, it really won't have the same feeling as a classic arcade. VR is such an individuated experience. Even if you're playing a multiplayer game, the player wants total immersion and that means that they don't want to hear sounds from other games or people milling about. It would be distracting and possibly confusing or even nauseating to have incongruous sound sources interfering with your immersion. So a VR arcade would actually be a very quiet place unless you're in a game. There will also have to be attendants and cleaning staff onsite constantly. There are currently a few gaming centers that are highly specialized for things like multiplayer mech simulators (not VR, but PC-based) but those are quite rare places.

I think AR, like Hololens, has a big future in evolving laser tag and paint ball-like games. A laser tag center could conceivably be built just as a large warehouse space with an array of very plain obstacles/cover objects, and then players wearing Hololens or some other AR glasses would see the place as a spaceship, wild west setting, or whatever. There will be AI enemies that can be human or alien, things can burst through walls, etc. Everybody can share much of the same surround sound system for accurate portrayal of explosions and AI gunfire, while your own weapon can have built-in speakers.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:24:48 am by Centrale »

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:35:50 am »
Well I think the west arcades are pretty much done, no matter what.

In Japan, Sega might try it in the future, tough I think they might not wanna do at arcade centers, but rather at the larger scale theme parks (Joypolis)

Offline Pao

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 11:32:27 am »
I think there might be a future for something sort of like arcades that features VR, but even if it can succeed, it really won't have the same feeling as a classic arcade. VR is such an individuated experience. Even if you're playing a multiplayer game, the player wants total immersion and that means that they don't want to hear sounds from other games or people milling about. It would be distracting and possibly confusing or even nauseating to have incongruous sound sources interfering with your immersion. So a VR arcade would actually be a very quiet place unless you're in a game. There will also have to be attendants and cleaning staff onsite constantly. There are currently a few gaming centers that are highly specialized for things like multiplayer mech simulators (not VR, but PC-based) but those are quite rare places.
Wouldn't headphones block all the outside noise?  Perhaps a pair of headphones would be embedded within the VR headset.

And yes tech like Hololens should also be interesting when applied to Arcades, good point!

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 03:58:47 pm »
SEGA been there and done it . They spent some 10 million pounds in a deal with Virtuality Group in the early 90's .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Pao

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 04:17:42 pm »
But the tech now is much more elaborate and immersive than it was back then. Is it fair to compare them?

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 04:19:39 pm »
Your right, it is far more immersive now but its also going to be available at homes. Wonder how many would go for a experience in an arcade.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 06:23:23 pm »
Cleanliness is an issue for me. I'm not sticking a game on my head that other people have worn.

Offline Pao

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 06:32:18 pm »
Not sure why cleanliness is an issue, I mean the headset will be on your head/eyes/ears, fairly dry parts. It's not like it will be covered with saliva or sweat or something.  Regular joysticks on cabinets would be far dirtier due to sweat and whatever the person touched before.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 08:17:51 pm »
Well, I mean anything that has a helmet or goggles that surround the eyes or a forehead rest or things that cover your ears. The idea of putting on those sort of things that have been used hundreds of times is kind of gross to me. Oily faces, dandruff, lice. Hands are different, since most arcades have hand sanitizer dispensers.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 02:37:57 am »
But the tech now is much more elaborate and immersive than it was back then. Is it fair to compare them?

You still look like a total prat playing it - That's the barrier to most
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 08:04:22 am »
Not sure why cleanliness is an issue, I mean the headset will be on your head/eyes/ears, fairly dry parts. It's not like it will be covered with saliva or sweat or something.  Regular joysticks on cabinets would be far dirtier due to sweat and whatever the person touched before.
You underestimate the ability for people to have disgusting personal hygiene.