Author Topic: let talk about the STEAM machines and eveything else  (Read 8696 times)

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
let talk about the STEAM machines and eveything else
« on: March 06, 2015, 08:08:39 pm »
Hello, here i am going to leave a link to all what VALVE has to offer, STEAM machines, STEAM Link, ETC.

http://store.steampowered.com/universe/?snr=1_4_4__40

I am going to be complete honest with this topic.
I really like the "STEAM controller", problably the first thing i am going to buy between all these products.
I also think "STEAM Link" is a good idea, if you dont want to play on your PC monitor, you can connect the STEAM Link and play it on your TV living room.
About the STEAM VR, i think is OK, but i really dont see, dont even in 5 years, people usign this besides a couple of exceptions.

About the STEAM machines...i think is in Theory a really good idea, you are having a PC without all the "problems" the PC have, but i have one little problem with them...why there are SO many?...

i will be clear, i like to have options, if the Asus doesnt convince me then i can have the alienware for example, but the problem is precisely that one...i dont think VALVE should be given TOO many options with this project.

I will give an example. The 8 generacion come to an end and the consoles are no more, but people want to play videogames of course, and so they go to buy a new and fancy STEAM machine, and they see that they have more than TEN OPCIONS...what do you think it would be their reaccion?...Some people will buy the cheaper SM (STEAM machine) to days later found out that that thing will not play anything... some other people will buy the more expensive one, to then find out that they would have saved a lot of money...do you see what is my point? a lot of people is going to freak out and leave and say "forget it...instead of this i would rather learn how to bulid my own PC..."

Because thats the reality, non of the SM is better than actually a true gaming PC, the SM are like "pc-consoles", but the WAY VALVE is selling them is complete wrong in my opinion, instead of offer so many products they should just create their own steam machine with some other partner and say:
"Worry that there are no more consoles?, dont worry! you can create your own PC!, oh?, you dont have time to do that? dont worry!, here is the answer!",  and after that they show the NEXTBOX (to put an example), a new system where you can play games and that you dont have to replace for 5 years.

THATS how they should had do it in my opinion...and thats my main problem with the SM, i think is a good idea, but the way this idea is been selling is not very encouraging...

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: let talk about the STEAM machines and eveything else
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 11:25:49 pm »
15 boutique builders with one steam machine each, doesn't seem anymore confusing to a person IMO than having to choose a Smartphone. There are dozens of brands, but people will often stick to what they know or they've heard.
In this case Origin, ASUS, Alienware, Cyberpower and Digital storm will probably get the most attention. These are custom machines, so, what you see isn't necessarily what you will get as even once you pick one you can build.

TBH, while I don't care much for the machines themselves, people clearly don't pay as much attention or give much care if these companies are still in business. Them selling steam machines won't change that. Whoever wants one will go get one and deal with it. Otherwise as stated before, these companies would not be making money. The only difference between steam machines and regular custom built pre built gaming PC's are the OS, which will be a much greater problem than these machines could ever be. It is the software that needs to be addressed more so than the hardware. Steam link does this to an excellent degree, effectively bridging the compatibility gap for the OS.

Is it a good solution? Well the alternative is to get another PC. So in that respect it is very good. Is it the best? No. Native ports are the only thing that will propel these machines, and luckily more and more of those seem to be coming.

I definitely look forward to using the steam controller for playing games.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 06:35:49 am »
How is this general Sega discussion?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 08:57:35 am »
Agreed, moving to General gaming

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 09:21:30 am »
I dont ever plan on buying a steam machine, in fact i think most of them are over priced. but if it helps make Linux a more widely used operating system then I'm all for it. Linux is a great OS, just needs better software/driver support, which, if STEAM machine is somewhat of a success, it would certainly help in that regard.

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 11:27:37 am »
Agreed, moving to General gaming

My mistake, thanks

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 03:20:50 pm »
No worries. That Steam Link looks pretty cool, I might be interested in that.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 05:53:34 pm »
I love the idea behind these boxes, but to expensive for me. Someday I'll fix up my old rig, but not for a while.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 11:54:44 am »
I'll definitely get a steam link.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 12:35:49 pm »
So it's $50 for the link and $50 for the controller? Wonder if there is some way to have a Xbox 360 wired controller plug into the Steam Link, or to use the wifi adaptor for the 360 pad.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 04:23:12 pm »
I'm wondering if you can hookup wired controllers too, it has 2 usb ports:
http://www.engadget.com/gallery/steam-link/3375283/#!slide=3375283

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 04:38:18 pm »
I don't see why it shouldn't.

Dualshock, Xbox 360, and Wii motes at the very least have linux drivers to my knowledge. So if you want to use at least the 360 or Dualshock, you should be able to, wired or wireless

Offline George

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 06:57:10 pm »
I'm like more excited about the link than anything else, the controller is not for me.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 07:26:13 pm »
As someone who is actually custom building a steam machine, the Link and the controller are hands down the most interesting parts for me.

A controller which will not force me to give up my key bindings and uses an input scheme similar to Mouse movement is a plus for me as my preferred scheme.

The link will probably be reserved for those games that I just can't see warranting a proper port.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:56:40 pm by JRcade19 »

Offline George

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 08:55:36 pm »
I do have extra parts that will allow me to make a steam machine, but is there a point now with the link?