Author Topic: Your favourite books growing up  (Read 9839 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Your favourite books growing up
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:26:21 am »
What were your favourite books as you grew up?

I really liked the 'Narnia' series, even with their flagrant Christian propaganda. They were always very exciting to me with their mix of mythical creatures and otherworldliness.

'The Hobbit' I enjoyed a lot. Never read the Lord of the Rings though.

'His Dark Materials' trilogy I've only read recently but I think is one of the best fantasy series, although the end of the final book dragged a bit, it's a modern classic for sure.

'The Book of Lost Things' is another 'lost boy in fantasy world' book I loved. It's a dark and twisted version of various fairy tales.

'Skellig' is pretty cool, kind of creepy. Its a bit of a classic but I don't know if it was popular outside of the UK.

Not everything I read as a kid were classics... 'Goosebumps'... Were addictive.

What about you?
Made by SEGA

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
Re: Your favourite books growing up
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 12:07:51 pm »
Goosebumps and Magic Tree House.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 01:02:52 pm »
Harry Potter series
The Bridge to Terabithia
Animorphs

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 02:24:36 pm »
As a kid, I would say Choose Your Own Adventure. That series was insane.

As a teen, a lot of Piers Anthony and (sigh) Anne Rice novels. Yeah I was one of 'those' kids.

Offline Jumbomax

• Keep Dreaming...
    • My Deviantart.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 06:21:28 pm »
As a child I loved the 'Redwall' series by Brian Jacques. Although I don't believe I've ever finished it...

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too and aren't scared to admit it then copy and paste this in your signature.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 07:36:43 pm »
Wheel of Time is my favorite. Next thread.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 12:04:59 am »
Goosebumps and Animorphs. I still have a copy of the beast from the east, wife got it for me a few years ago, haha.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Sharky

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 12:37:49 am »
As a child I loved the 'Redwall' series by Brian Jacques. Although I don't believe I've ever finished it...

There's quite a lot of them. I have only read 'The Outcast of Redwall' it's a cool concept for a series. I might give some more a go.

You know a really short but sweet book, not necessarily for kids is 'The Birds.' The concept sounds a bit dumb, birds start attacking in hordes and nobody knows why... But the story is really good, creepy as hell. Sort of like a Zombie apocalypse vibe. Ending spoiler: [spoiler] I love the ending too, so abrupt, feels like there should be more. He boarders up the windows lights his fag and waits for the onslaught.[/spoiler]
Made by SEGA

Offline TruthEnigma

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 05:36:28 am »
Before I was 10, I adored the Roald Dahl books, particularly "Boy". During my teens I discovered the two who remain my favourite authors, William Gibson for the Sprawl trilogy, and David Gemmell for the Drenai series.

Offline Jumbomax

• Keep Dreaming...
    • My Deviantart.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 01:43:52 pm »

You know a really short but sweet book, not necessarily for kids is 'The Birds.' The concept sounds a bit dumb, birds start attacking in hordes and nobody knows why... But the story is really good, creepy as hell. Sort of like a Zombie apocalypse vibe. Ending spoiler: [spoiler] I love the ending too, so abrupt, feels like there should be more. He boarders up the windows lights his fag and waits for the onslaught.[/spoiler]
I just finished reading that book like, 2 minutes ago. Yeah, it's pretty good...And creepy. Thanks for suggesting it. ;)

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too and aren't scared to admit it then copy and paste this in your signature.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 05:58:37 pm »
I just finished reading that book like, 2 minutes ago. Yeah, it's pretty good...And creepy. Thanks for suggesting it. ;)

Ah nice! I like that old early-mid 1900's writing style of C.S Louis and Tolkien. I also like apocalyptic stories but I'm bored of Zombies so it hit all the right notes for me.
Made by SEGA

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 07:02:17 pm »
The most memorable book I read growing up was "Watership Down" aka Rabbit Adventure Book. Read it when I was in 7th grade and it was painful at first, but I grew to love it.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Sharky

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 10:52:02 pm »
^The animated film of Watership Down is creepy as fuck... I remember watching it as a kid, as well as Plague Dogs which is even worse. Don't let British people animate shit, unless its Aardman Studios. Everything else is creepy as shit.
Made by SEGA

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 08:22:33 pm »
Yeah I loosely remember it. I remember thinking "what is going on here..." like everything tonally is not like that in the book. Why did they go for that angle, I have no idea
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 10:18:05 pm »
The Wizard of Oz
Around The World in 80 days
Baron Munchausen

Yeah, I read classics when I was a kid.

Sometimes I wonder why book readers love to complain about movie version of their favorite book (Harry Potter, Twilights, etc), but then I remember myself doing that too for the movie version of The Wizard of Oz and Around The World in 80 days.