Author Topic: Smartphones killing traditional TV  (Read 9457 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Smartphones killing traditional TV
« on: February 20, 2015, 09:50:27 pm »
Some might consider smartphones to be killing traditional gaming, but it also seem smartphones are killing traditional TV according to latest usage statistics.

The cord-cutting continues for America's youth Young people are ditching their television sets even faster than in previous years, according to new data, with traditional TV usage falling among viewers age 18-34 falling at twice the normal rate in the recent September to January season.
A new Nielsen survey shows that traditional TV usage among millennial viewers tumbled 10.6% between September and January, the New York Post reports. Since 2012, traditional TV usage had only been falling at about 4% a year from season to season.
The sudden acceleration of young people dropping TV in favor of Netflix surprised many analysts. “The change in behavior is stunning. The use of streaming and smartphones just year-on-year is double-digit increases,” Alan Wurtzel, NBCUniversal’s audience research chief, told the Post. “I’ve never seen that kind of change in behavior.”
In 2011, 21.7 million young adults were tuning in to their TV sets, but that figure fell to 17.8 million last month, a drop of almost 20%. That trend is likely to continue as more millennials turn to online video streaming from Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO GO and other sources.

What an amazing time to be alive

http://time.com/3713134/millennials-tv-cord-cutting-cable/

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Smartphones killing traditional TV
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:15:54 pm »
I for one, won't miss TV. Netflix has been putting up quality shows and Amazon is starting to greenlight more high quality shows and soon HBO is going to launch their streaming service in America.

Buh-bye Cable.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:28:18 pm »
I love a big ol' TV set, but I have never had cable. I stick to HD antenna TV and a combination of Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.

Offline George

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 11:46:12 pm »
I think this is more of 'streaming' is killing cable and TV, but instead of buying TVs for every bedroom, most are OK with streaming sometimes on tablets. I doubt American's are not going to have at least one TV in their house.

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 10:12:21 pm »
Haven't watched much TV since the NFL season ended. At least March Madness will be starting up soon.

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 10:25:14 pm »
and NFL has said they are looking into using streaming services for all games. Honestly the NFL broadcasting is so fucked. Blackouts, timezoned games and stuff just make me mad.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 05:18:59 am »
Funny, we use the tablet to watch the news in the kitchen via a streaming app instead of having the TV louder in the other room. The thing is, at least in Portugal, most service providers (NOS, Vodafone, Cabovisao, Meo) have streaming applications for tablets 'n' smartphones but you can only get them if you subscribe to their full list of services (TV, phone and Internet).

I use Internet for my work, I barely watch TV save for the news, I don't use the phone 'cept for ordering pizzas and I haven't done it since forever.

Once I get my own apartament, it's just Internet only for me.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 08:30:25 am »
TV is really getting out-dated at a fast pace. Instead of 'watch what we say, when we say', people would rather watch things on demand at their leisure. Makes perfect sense.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 09:11:04 am »
When I move out I won't have a cable TV subscription. Nor a fixed telephone.

All I need is Internet and a mobile phone. I can stream anything I want to the television with my AppleTV (or any other streaming box, I just happen to have an iPhone)
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 09:37:59 am »
Yep, I've been living in an apartment for over a year now, don't own a TV and never wanted one. I can get anything I want on my PC and my mobile phone has served my telephone needs.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 09:43:05 am »
I'm a heavy user of SportTV (the portuguese equivelent of Sky Sports or ESPN) but even that has a streaming service which I can just feed off of my father's subscription.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 11:04:39 am »
I still think nothing beats a nicely sized HDTV. I fucking hate watching movies on an iPhone or an iPad, nothing beats a couch and a big TV screen. Though I think a lot of people don't know that distance from the screen dictates the size of the screen you need. I've known some people who have their couch 6 feet from the TV, and they went and bought a 70" TV just because they have the money and assumed bigger is better. Meanwhile I have a 42" that is 6 feet from the couch and it is perfect.

Yeah, I'm an AV snob.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 11:12:23 am »
I still think nothing beats a nicely sized HDTV. I fucking hate watching movies on an iPhone or an iPad, nothing beats a couch and a big TV screen. Though I think a lot of people don't know that distance from the screen dictates the size of the screen you need. I've known some people who have their couch 6 feet from the TV, and they went and bought a 70" TV just because they have the money and assumed bigger is better. Meanwhile I have a 42" that is 6 feet from the couch and it is perfect.

Yeah, I'm an AV snob.

I know what you mean, you need to have the right size for the distance, something I learnt when working as a TV salesman a while back. Basically you should be able to comfortably see the whole screen without moving your eyes at all.

In any event, I agree that a nice big TV is the best, but I meant in terms of watching TV programming rather than the monitor device. If I had room for it, I wouldn't mind getting a nice sized TV Screen.

I'm just sad that Plasma is all but dead, it's so much nicer than LED.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 06:39:35 pm »

Yeah, I'm an AV snob.
But it's not about watching movies on the iPhone. It's about streaming off of it.
I want a 60" TV, I just don't want a TV subscription.
SEG4GES

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 08:32:44 am »
This has been building for a while. I don't have a TV. Technically I have a Sky subscription, but I use it on my PC which has 2 good size monitors on it. My consoles connect through those also. No need for a TV at all. The only TV show I used to watch, Top Gear, I can just get on the BBC iPlayer. This is why the law was changed here in Ireland so that there is no TV license any more. Instead all households have to pay a broadcast license instead, so even if you have no TV, you still pay. Sucks!