Author Topic: We're giving away SEGA 3D Classics in exchange for your AM2 memories!  (Read 8451 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
It's about time our loyal forum members get a little something. Courtesy of SEGA, we have SEGA 3D Classics codes to give away! To win a code, all you have to do is write up a paragraph telling us of your most memorable SEGA-AM2 moment. It could be a favorite game, or a distinct memory of an arcade title, or a little moment in a game that made you smile.

If we like what you wrote, we'll award you with a 3D Classics code and consider your entry for inclusion in our SEGA-AM2 Month round table to be posted at the end of January. In addition to your memory, let us know your territory and what game you would like from the list below. We can't promise you the game you request, but it makes awarding the games much easier.

We are limited on EU codes, due to them being difficult to get a hold of. Not to say this is Americas only, but our EU codes are limited to one. We hope to have more EU codes in the coming months for future 3D Classics titles, so if we have more than one EU entry we will try to hold a future code for you. Cutoff for entries is January 29th. Writers cannot enter (though contributors can) and this is not a ploy for new forum members. This is to award our current members, but we will not restrict new members from entering - we're just not sharing this on the social networks. Keep it on the DL.

Games to be won:
3D Super Hang On - Americas
3D Space Harrier - Americas
3D Galaxy Force II - Americas
3D After Burner II - Europe
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:06:40 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: We're giving away SEGA 3D Classics in exchange for your AM2 memories!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:34:42 am »
I don’t really want to enter the competition , but I just like to say one that a couple of my happiest memories that have still stood with me, come from a couple of AM#2 Saturns games  back in the day .Remember DreamMachines getting the import versions of Virtual Cop in and I was speaking to Lee over the phone and asking him what  the game was like  (before he sent the games out)  and his response was ‘ It’s the Arcade machine mate in you home ‘ Then just a few weeks latter Dreammachines had Saturn VF II and again I rung Lee to ask him whats its like and he just said....' its the most increabile thing you'll see on a console, you just wait untill you'll see it tomorrow, you'll not belive it '
Those are really happy memories and ones that will stay with me forever.

Seeing the Saturn High Res mode in full effect  with that lovely shimmer one got for the Saturn High Res  was a magic AM#2 Saturn moment.   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:36:35 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 02:15:12 pm »
I'm not going to enter the competition either but I think this idea is awesome. Kudos to you guys for running it and it was nice of Sega to offer some game codes.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 09:27:42 pm »
I love and support this topic, but I already have all the games so I won't enter too.
Still I wanna share something about AM2 :

My memorable SEGA-AM2 moment is when I watched Space Harrier arcade for the first time.
Why? Because it's the first arcade game I've ever seen.
Too bad the conversion's never satisfy me, there is something that feels different from the arcade version.
That's why when 3D Space Harrier's released, with it's 3D depth, extras, and analog control,
it's suddenly become 1 of my top favorite games of all time.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 02:27:44 pm »
Even if you own the games, you can win a code to give to a friend. ;)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 03:08:41 pm »
What if you don't have any friends?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 03:49:50 pm »
Sell it on ebay or trade it for friendship?

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 01:05:52 pm »
Assuming this is AM2: Fantasy Zone on the Virtual Console (The SMS wasn't around by the time I had the ability to buy my own games).

I loved the colours, the basic aspect of the game and even the imaginary bosses!

I suck at shooters and still do with games like Fantasy Zone, but I guess the appeal of the whole game just clicked with me. I ended up getting SEGA Classic Collection just because of Fantasy Zone and bought the second game on the Virtual Console as well and made Opa Opa my main in All Stars Racing back in the day.

If not then OutRun caught my eye as a kid at his friend's house who borrowed many of SEGA's classics. Loved the scenery to the game and the challenge of the game.

Bought Outrun Online and played the living hell out of it. Not gotten all of the achievements but I still play it to this day just for the enjoyment of the game.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:07:32 pm by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 01:53:04 pm »
Favorite AM2 memory...of course it has to be Shenmue. Shenmue I to be exact.

I can't remember exactly when it was, but it was either late 2001 or early 2002. Before Shenmue II came out in North America, my friend was over at my house. My parents had came back from town, and made a stop at the flea market. They picked up three games to try out on the good ol' Dreamcast: Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense, Grandia II, and Shenmue I. Of course, we tried them all. Vigilante was fun, and the only one we could both play at the same time. Grandia seemed cool, but not something to play when a friend is over. And Shenmue, I honestly brushed it off as being just another game. Wow, was I wrong.

After my friend left the next day, I was able to start exploring more of the two games that were one player only: Grandia and Shenmue I. I ended up getting blown completely away by Shenmue, more than any other game I had ever played...the graphics, the music, everything was incredible and I loved it. I still remember being terribly sick, home from school one day, and I was so thrilled that I got to play it all day :) . I remember I was on disc 2, trying to sneak into the old warehouse district, and I kept failing. Shozo Mizuki came and helped me, several times. I could not figure this out. I was so frustrated, that when my mother came in to bring me some breakfast (scrambled eggs and bacon in a bowl, I still remember :) ), that I asked her to try it for me. Keep in mind I wasn't even in middle school at the time. Of course, she got it, and at this time it was much easier since I had maps and less guards due to Shozo's help. She gets me in to Old Warehouse #8, and I continue the game. I was so shocked when Gui Zhang said "We always have trouble with that gang...those dirty bastards." :D

Anyways, I continued on, loving every minute of it, especially the forklift job, and finished the game. Was incredibly impressed, I was mesmerized by this game. It was instantly my favorite video game of all time, it was a story that drew me in, and made a personal connection with me...I felt sorry for Ryo, I felt his pain throughout all of this, and as cheesy as it may sound, I feel like I kind of grew a little with him through the second game as well.

I was constantly on the internet looking up anything and everything I could about Shenmue II, or if one existed. I was not a current gamer by any means...the Dreamcast was not bought new, in fact, the last console we bought first hand was a Genesis. So I didn't know anything about DC dying, or Shenmue II coming to the Xbox,- right away. I remember finding all sorts of pictures and screenshots, and a really old Project Berkeley ad that was about thirty seconds long, that I still have never seen since (except on my computer!) . I read all sorts of rumors that Ryo would be able to call home to Japan in Shenmue II, would receive letters from Nozomi, and more. Finally, I got word that Shenmue II was coming to Xbox, and I immediately convinced my parents to put one in Walmart layaway. I am in sixth grade now, and I remember instantly making my way over to the video game section every time my family was in Walmart. They had up the Xbox demo disc with the Shenmue II Zhang QTE sequence on it, that started with the Dou Jiang Free Battle. I don't think I ever quite beat that demo due to me never knowing what to do with command QTEs, but I still was in love. So excited to finally get this game. Eventually, I think it was either December 2002 or January 2003, we got the Xbox and Shenmue II out of layaway. The Xbox came with Rallisport Challenge, SEGA GT 2002, and Jet Set Radio Future, but all I wanted to play was Shenmue. We got home with it, and I was so excited! My brother had gone to a school dance that night, and my dad wanted to try out the games with me, but didn't want to watch me play Shenmue. We glanced through the other three games, and he even stayed for a bit to watch Shenmue, and then I was all alone to enjoy the experience. I remember thinking that I needed a memory card to save my game and that I wouldn't be able to save, but when I found out I could, I was ecstatic! I still have that old Xbox with me very first Shenmue II clear file on it...I should go back and check the date, but I think I beat the game around March or April. After that, still not knowing much about the franchise and SEGA's current situations, or Shenmue III, I again swarm the internet to find out when Shenmue III is coming out, because you can't end a game like THAT!!! I stumble upon the Shenmue Dojo on Gamespy's Planet Xbox, and finally registered as a member in April of 2004. I remember all of the letdowns, all of the LanDC hacks and discoveries, the announcement of Shenmue Online, the announcement of Shenmue Gai...all of it. Such a wonderful time playing through those games all those years ago, and here is to my undying wish that we will someday see the ending of the Shenmue saga, as it was meant to be, in a video game.

Of course, playing through Shenmue made me experience Space Harrier, Outrun, Hang On, and Afterburner II. Those were great games, and I have also enjoyed playing Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn and PC, Virtua Fighter 3 on Dreamcast, Fighters Megamix on Saturn, and more. But nothing compares to Shenmue for me.

Good times, great memories. Thank you, SEGA - AM2.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:56:09 pm by Supa »

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 10:09:45 pm »

Uh, okay, hard to argue that.
How selfish I am for not remembering my friends.  ;-D

Offline Jumbomax

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Keep Dreaming...
    • My Deviantart.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 12:02:59 pm »
My favorite AM2 moment is from Virtua Cop 2 on Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 for Dreamcast. My Brothers and I played Virtua Cop 2 allot when we were young, and one thing that we would always do is pause and unpause the game through out the whole bosses because all the sounds played before it is paused get played again when you unpause. So you get bosses laughing and shouting "DIE!" while they're falling to their doom. Plus on top of that all the explosive noises from the boss play too. ;)

I'd like Super Hang-on or Galaxy Force II if possible. Either one is fine. ;)

My territory is North America.

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too and aren't scared to admit it then copy and paste this in your signature.

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 08:20:54 am »
In the early 2000's I bought a light gun and Virtua Cop for the Sega Saturn and I thought: "The House of the Dead is more fun".

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 01:23:07 pm »
I wasn't sure which memory I'd choose, there are so many concerning AM2, but I'm landing on Daytona USA. This is likely SEGA's first 3D game in an arcade that made me stop, look at, and refuse to do anything but gape at the action on the screen. I had seen polygons before in Virtua Fighter, but not texture mapping, nor 60 frames per second movement through a roller coaster version of a race track. Sitting down to actually play it made my heart rate increase, my eyes glaze, and my legs go numb. It was the day that SEGA was more than Sonic or the Genesis, and a prime reason that I got a Saturn during the 32-bit era. Never mind the original Saturn port turned out awful, but AM2 was now on my radar as a top-tier developer thanks to Daytona, and their glorious Saturn ports became events during my early teenage years.

*If chosen: 3D Space Harrier - Americas*

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 04:41:14 pm »
Aaaand the replies are rolling in! Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 03:40:26 pm »
Probably the best thing I've experienced in an AM2 game was finding the hidden Hang-On machine in Shenmue II's yellow head building. As soon as I played it, I understood every sentiment people had towards the developer, Hang-On was amazingly fun and fast, and the fact I had tons of money meant I could keep playing, but of course greater things demanded Ryo's attention. There'll probably be many times I boot up Shenmue II just to play Hang-On, it's that much fun.

**If I get selected, could I have 3D Super Hang-On, please?**