Author Topic: Remember that Sonic movie in production?  (Read 13808 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Remember that Sonic movie in production?
« on: November 19, 2014, 11:16:56 am »
Sonic Stadium got more info on it.

It's being aimed for a PG-13 rating
It's based on SEGA Japan modern Sonic, not Sonic Boom
Marza Animation are doing the animation aspect and they are very excited about it

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/11/movie-news-the-upcoming-and-the-cancelled/

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Remember that Sonic movie in production?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 11:23:55 am »
Its release was planned to coincide with launch of the SEGA Saturn back in the day, and there were two concepts for the film; one was a Who Framed Roger Rabbit-esque approach which would combine both the live action world with the video game world… and the other would be an entirely new origin story, all live action, where a sixteen year old boy transforms into the spiky blue hedgehog.

On a more related note, this sounds interesting. Would be great if it's a big hit to see Sonic being 'cool' again.

Hopefully they can make it fun and funny with a bit of action and not try to be grimdark. I'd love to see something along the lines of the Japanese OVA which seemed to strike a decent balance (STRANGE ISN'T IT?).

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 11:30:38 am »

I got a feeling iizuka is highly involved with this.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 11:40:43 am by Happy Cat »

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 11:33:38 am »
I'm all for Sonic getting cartoons and movies. I really like the cartoon.

If they are acting smart and don't do what Sonic Stadium expects, they should just do a movie selling Sonic as a cool character, rather than Adventure type plots.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:02:20 pm »
I'm all for Sonic getting cartoons and movies. I really like the cartoon.

If they are acting smart and don't do what Sonic Stadium expects, they should just do a movie selling Sonic as a cool character, rather than Adventure type plots.

I would really hope they go a simple route with just Sonic and Tails fighting Robotnik. Something like Death Egg Saga, just the two guys going to cool looking locations and cracking jokes and some nicely choreographed action/chase scenes. Imagine how great the bi-plane chase could be?

But I'm expecting it to be Sonic and all his creepy friends posturing and posing while Eggman accidentally unleashes a monster that destroys the world but a princess can save them and they dualise and it turns out NiGHTS is actually a metaphor for Yuji Naka's abusive father.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 12:02:46 pm »
Well, the movies are gonna be produced by Original Film, famous for Fast & Furious franchise and Prison Break, so PG-13 it's common for them and Sonic is a character that work for all ages. I'm interested right now.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 01:29:32 pm »
This info Blake Harris from Barry's live flip though of the Mega Drive Collected Works video? You can hear through Blake's own words at at 58 minutes in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrVGkG4IuOg

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 02:40:29 pm »
Oh yeah, thats the cancelled 1995 one, but I would not be shocked if something just as weird was pitched to SEGA for the new film.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 05:42:32 pm »
PG-13? Why that rating?

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 09:07:15 pm »
So i've been reading various communities and seeing what people are saying, stumbled on some interesting info.

This is one of the two guys writing the story:

and he had this to say in an interview:
I can’t get into any specifics about the story of the film, but I can say that Boom is a completely separate project.

One of the main reasons I was hired for the project was because they wanted someone young, who is a true fan of the character and games. If that doesn’t speak to their intentions, I don’t know what does.

also looks like he just posted on SSMB not too long ago:

I don't think there is any need to be worried, the guy seems to understand what he is doing. I'm quite interested to see the outcome of this movie.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:30:54 pm by Happy Cat »

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 09:40:20 pm »
The very fact that they're shooting for a pg-13 rating means they have no idea what they're doing.  The only way you can get that kind of rating is with graphic on-screen deaths(for instance Loki goring a dude in Avengers), profanity, or sex.  None of which belong within 100 miles of this franchise. 

This thing is a disaster of nuclear proportions waiting to happen.  Here's hoping they cancel this thing before it gets off the ground.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:41:53 pm by Radrappy »

Offline Nirmugen

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 10:28:27 pm »
Eh...Rappy, calmdown.

PG-13 could work in many ways like being only physical confrotation and destructions of cities. The film production already has experience in this stuff.

Anyway, the writer is a really awesome guy. He took his job seriously and he has started to research with a bunch of Sonic titles and books like the Console Wars and The MD works for ex. He already play and buy mostly all the original releases for the MD,both adventure games and Heroes.
I have a strong confidence with this guy :)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 10:47:35 pm »
Is this still going to be live action... Because I can already smell a fucking Smurfs Movie 'fish out of water' tale brewing and it makes me want to vomit.
Made by SEGA

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 12:01:12 am »
Eh...Rappy, calmdown.

PG-13 could work in many ways like being only physical confrotation and destructions of cities. The film production already has experience in this stuff.

No, the destruction of a city isn't enough. The Incredibles was PG and had plenty of city destruction and violence.  Irobot had to famously add a shot of Will Smith's bare ass to make the grade.  It's not as easy as you're making it to be.  You need some graphic violence to fit the bill (any kind of impalement will do it). 

He took his job seriously and he has started to research with a bunch of Sonic titles and books like the Console Wars and The MD works for ex. He already play and buy mostly all the original releases for the MD,both adventure games and Heroes.
I have a strong confidence with this guy :)

You have confidence in him because he's played some Sonic games?  You know what would inspire confidence from me?  If the guy had even written a single feature length movie before(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2448917/).  To date he has not.  He seems relatively fresh and unaccomplished to be trusted with such a challenge.  Even a seasoned writer would struggle with making Sonic a relatable and compelling protagonist, what chance does this guy have?

Offline Nirmugen

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 12:21:33 am »
Jeez, calmdown.

Harry Potter movies were PG-13. The only think that make those movie in that rate were physical confrotation, mysticysm and violence but not that in heavy way.

Also, All current superheroes movies are PG-13. I think they are going to that route.

If the guy even take care of being in SSMB forums and also respond many questions via social media and being nice, that's for sure a good sign. He doesn't even work alone too.