Author Topic: Wonder boy developers near bankruptcy  (Read 20238 times)

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
Wonder boy developers near bankruptcy
« on: October 01, 2014, 02:44:07 pm »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: Wonder boy developers near bankruptcy
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 03:44:16 pm »
That's a shame. I'm sure Sega has a lock on the Wonder Boy IP so that's not going anywhere, but it would still be nice if Sega scooped up Westone and keep them dedicated to the series.

Wonder Boy 3 is the best 8bit game made, in my opinion.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 03:58:46 pm »
They haven't made a game since like...2006? I think lots more of these small companies will die.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 04:24:30 am »
That's a shame. I'm sure Sega has a lock on the Wonder Boy IP so that's not going anywhere,

SEGA only have the lock on the title 'Wonderboy' they don't own the rights to the games . Sad to see Weststone go but I'm amazned they lasted this long they haven't done nothing for years really
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 04:26:56 am »
Didn't they go bankrupt before? They were also showing intrest in reviving Wonderboy again after D2's WONDERBOY COLLECTION. Its too bad SOJ couldn't be bothered to fund a new version of the game...

Offline ROJM

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 04:27:56 am »
That's a shame. I'm sure Sega has a lock on the Wonder Boy IP so that's not going anywhere, but it would still be nice if Sega scooped up Westone and keep them dedicated to the series.

Wonder Boy 3 is the best 8bit game made, in my opinion.

Actually Sega has a lock on WONDERBOY and MONSTER WORLD games. Which they have the codes for as they always keep republishing them.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 05:15:23 am »
Actually Sega has a lock on WONDERBOY and MONSTER WORLD games. Which they have the codes for as they always keep republishing them.

Now I'm not just saying this to argue with you . But Retrogamer and TM did a feature and a interview with Westone a while back and in that interview ... Westone confirmed that SEGA only has the rights to the Wonderboy name everything else belongs to Westone and is used with their pernmssion .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 05:50:54 am »
Now I'm not just saying this to argue with you . But Retrogamer and TM did a feature and a interview with Westone a while back and in that interview ... Westone confirmed that SEGA only has the rights to the Wonderboy name everything else belongs to Westone and is used with their pernmssion .

Sigh...
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA is registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. SEGA, the SEGA logo and WONDER BOY IN MONSTER LAND are either registered
trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Corporation.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 07:51:37 am »
Why I do I bother, even when I try to be civil .

Ok for the facts  Retrogamer Issue #124 interview with Westmore founders Michishit Ishizuka and Ryuichi Nishizawa

[

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 07:55:46 am »
Again..Sega owns the copyrights..with Westone. They've never released a MONSTER WORLD or WONDERBOY game with those names by themselves. They can't. You're article doesn't say anything that Sega only owns Wonderboy.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 08:05:39 am »
 SEGA only owns the trademark to the Wonderboy name IP . Everything else is owned by Westmore . Christ you even want to argue when the developer of Wonderboy and founder of Westone makes it quite clear .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 08:09:45 am »
I remember this article all right. Maybe ROJM knows better than Ryuichi Nishizawa, but Nishizawa is specifically saying that Sega owns the character Wonderboy, but the actual code, which would be needed to to release any new versions of that game is owned by Westone.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 08:14:07 am »
SEGA only owns the trademark to the Wonderboy name IP . Everything else is owned by Westmore . Christ you even want to argue when the developer of Wonderboy and founder of Westone makes it quite clear .

Not according to the US and Japanese trademarks office..the rights on the published works and the rights on websites that belong to sega with westone getting original game credit...Again you haven't proved that Sega just owns WONDERBOY. Also he never said that at all. Its out of context. From what i can tell he's talking about the Adventure Island games which were three titles. So don't bother mate. Really..you're getting below desperate...

Offline ROJM

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 08:17:25 am »
I remember this article all right. Maybe ROJM knows better than Ryuichi Nishizawa, but Nishizawa is specifically saying that Sega owns the character Wonderboy, but the actual code, which would be needed to to release any new versions of that game is owned by Westone.

And that was always the relationship/deal with Sega and Westone. They produced several titles besides WONDERBOY and MONSTERWORLD for Sega...most of them are the same..Sega owns the IP and Westone gets the game credit and rights.

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 08:26:19 am »
Exactly. It would likely be in Sega's interest to purchase the company from bankruptcy to get those copyrights, even if they do not want the company itself. Otherwise they would never be able to release any of the Wonder Boy games on any compilations.