Author Topic: New RPG from SEGA  (Read 9169 times)

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
New RPG from SEGA
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:35:10 am »
Famitsu had announced today a new RPG from SEGA called "the world and Eclipse":

http://www.vandal.net/noticia/1350655328/sega-anuncia-the-world-end-eclipse-de-los-creadores-de-valkyria-chronicles/

Is in spanish but it basically said that this new game is from the valkirya chronicles team and it will be for PSVita, Pc and Mobile. It will be F2P with microtransactions.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: New RPG from SEGA
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:51:51 am »
Sega has a lot of these now

Kingdom Conquest
PSO2
Chain Chronicles
Dragon Coins
マイン島と空の迷宮 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlNae-Vt1kg)

And in the Arcades...
Sengoku Taisen
Shining Force Cross
Border Break
Wonderland Wars
The World of the Three Kingdoms
Code of Joker

Now why not some Online games for the console? SEGA cultivated the idea with PSO on the Dreamcast.

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:12:30 pm »
I wonder what our chances of seeing it, between slim and none?

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:36:53 pm »
Is in spanish but it basically said that this new game is from the valkirya chronicles team and it will be for PSVita, Pc and Mobile.

YES SO MUCH Y-

It will be F2P with microtransactions.

Friggin hell sega...way to kill my hype. Sega's F2P mechanics on mobile titles have been irritating and crazi taxi was one of the worst offenders.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 12:39:48 pm »
Games still looks great though, i hate the micro transactions for mobile games though.

Been thinking about getting an Ouya just so i can play mobile RPGS on my TV.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 12:44:56 pm »
Famitsu had announced today a new RPG from SEGA called "the world and Eclipse":

http://www.vandal.net/noticia/1350655328/sega-anuncia-the-world-end-eclipse-de-los-creadores-de-valkyria-chronicles/

Is in spanish but it basically said that this new game is from the valkirya chronicles team and it will be for PSVita, Pc and Mobile. It will be F2P with microtransactions.

Already mentioned it...

http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=3177.msg68097#msg68097

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 12:58:24 pm »
Already mentioned it...

http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=3177.msg68097#msg68097

I see but is not like i read all the comments you guys do when i am not online  ;D

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 01:06:30 pm »
Let me tell you something guys, one of the reasons about the F2P model exist is because A LOT of people are VERY bad used to pay games for a low price. Games from any platform, not only mobile and games that deserve a price of 50 or 60 bucks because the developing cost but some idiots yell and said "is very expensive!" but when the company use this mobel of F2P with Microtransactions then the SAME person yell and said "Is a crap business model!"...

Can we just please sit down and try to enjoy a game like we used to do?, sometimes i fell that we spend more time compleaining about X game than actually enjoy the ones we like...

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 01:14:55 pm »
Games still looks great though, i hate the micro transactions for mobile games though.

Been thinking about getting an Ouya just so i can play mobile RPGS on my TV.

You'd probably be better off getting a cable that connects your phone to your monitor/TV instead.

Friggin hell sega...way to kill my hype. Sega's F2P mechanics on mobile titles have been irritating and crazi taxi was one of the worst offenders.

That's where I lost interest as well.

Let me tell you something guys, one of the reasons about the F2P model exist is because A LOT of people are VERY bad used to pay games for a low price. Games from any platform, not only mobile and games that deserve a price of 50 or 60 bucks because the developing cost but some idiots yell and said "is very expensive!" but when the company use this mobel of F2P with Microtransactions then the SAME person yell and said "Is a crap business model!"...

Can we just please sit down and try to enjoy a game like we used to do?, sometimes i fell that we spend more time compleaining about X game than actually enjoy the ones we like...

The issue is that Free to Play with micro-transactions are almost always geared entirely around taking your money rather than providing a fun or full experience. On the contrary, the whole point of most of those types of games is to LIMIT your enjoyment... unless you'd like to pay a little bit more money of course.

The idea of those games is detrimental to gaming, you can't enjoy your product without constantly paying, as opposed to paying a set amount and the developer trying to make the product as good as possible so that you'll be willing to pay that, and then again for sequels etc.

The game is basically geared around conditioning you to spend more and more money instead of providing a full package. Look up 'Skinner Box', it's a term being applied to these types of games now, previously applied to Poker Machines and Pachinko machines etc.

Having said that, this game might not be so bad, but I wouldn't count on it.

Also it looks like a pretty generic JRPG with loli characters, so I probably wouldn't be interested anyway.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 01:24:39 pm »
If this like PSO2 ,that the only payable thing is Costumes and the Room space, this game is gonna be really good with that F2P model. Also:
PC= The cheapest R&D + less troublesome updates + instant fixes
PSVita=Niche and dedicated audience + RPG's prefered hardware
Mobile= Casual and general audience + instant updates +the most crowded system+ JP players often pay microtransactions
Overall=Less R&D but great sales and profits

Also, I told you so about that many posts ago xD: http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=3165.msg67781#msg67781

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 01:30:41 pm »
Aye, the F2P model itself isn't inherently crap....it is just the devs and publishers who ruin that model.

You can still make a great game, and have it F2P, such as Loadout or Path of the Exile, DOTA, TF2, LOL ect...

Sega's mobile monetization however has been less than encouraging on that front. Hopefully it takes more cues from PSO2 than Crazi Taxi City Rush or Sonic Dash.

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 01:44:06 pm »
But the idea of F2P model is bad for the consumer is just that, and idea Mademan. Many games that use this model have been accepted for the industry and some are not. SEGA have games F2P than are very good in my opinion.
You maybe cannot like this new game but if you automatically think is going to be bad or detrimental because is F2P then you are having an unjustified prejudging in my opinion.
Some games use this business model wrong?. YES
ALL the games than use this model use it wrong? NO.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 02:10:54 pm »
MadeMan is interested in fighters, I think? Maybe he's aware of Soul Calibur: Lost Swords and Tekken Revolution from Bandai Namco, particularly egregious uses of F2P there. As I recall in Tekken Revolution it was especially bad not only because of the reused assets (well, you would expect this) but also because how purchasing power-ups decreases incentives for practice and developing skill. Soul Calibur: Lost Swords as I recall is just a poorly made game that turned off people with its errors and the presence of "fan favorites" like Sophitia and Taki (the absence/replacement of certain characters made fans of the series uneasy) couldn't hold people's interest. Plus the fact that for whatever reason it wasn't multiplayer. Fighters are basically retaining a modest audience over time in spite of the fact that new franchises come and go - imagine if a franchise with a limited following like Virtua Fighter saw immense popularity from implementing F2P mechanics.

I think it's disingenuous to dismiss the often predatory implementation of F2P, especially if we assume companies are mostly interested in "following the money." It's like the issue with Season's Passes. I mean, there's a reason why people generally aren't up in arms over the standard pay one amount up front model. Yes, maybe for this game this time it will be different but that's not to be expected.

Also, I think especially nowadays, you don't see a lot of overlap between people who think $60 bucks is too much and those who think F2p is predatory. With more awareness of the cost of games in other countries (namely Japan, Australia, Brazil maybe) and the generally well-documented implementation of F2P, at least in core console gaming circles in the West you see less resistance to $60.

On a personal level, I also don't like these because of the treatment of franchises...Crazy Taxi was already mentioned. Look at the Sakura Taisen GREE game. I would personally prefer the maintenance of established franchises.

IIRC outside of the "four pillars" these are the active non-mobile franchises

Phantasy Star
Yakuza
Shining
Virtua Fighter (VF6 will come...=P)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:18:57 pm by inthesky »
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 02:29:24 pm »
Is true that not all the genres can have a F2P Model (those Namco games have been bad tries because they haven't made the research for making a game with that model) but I can't see why all this games need to be hated..."it's not asking your money, you put the money if you want". And if this game offers you the same amount of content ,except the aesthetics and full personalize character system, that a full game has, it's beneficial for the two sides..just like PSO2 and I think this new game  is going to be in that way.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 02:52:58 pm »

Now who could this be directed at?
Only problem why its kinda crap comes in the sense that most of these titles aren't released in the west so by default a lot of Sega fans will miss out on those titles...