Author Topic: the financial status of the industry  (Read 7490 times)

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
the financial status of the industry
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:50:01 am »
Hi, i open this topic with the idea of writing the finalcial results of the companies for now on. Like Aki do at the end of each quarter writing a resume of the quarter for SEGA-Sammy, i think we can use this topic to do a more or less same thing with the other companies.

I will start with Nintendo, today they announced their results for their first quarter of the 2015 fiscal year:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140730e.pdf

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140730_2e.pdf

It seems that they had an operational loss of 9,470 millons yen and a net loss of 9,924.
Also Mario kart 8 sold 2.82 millons in one month, but it seems that was the only fisical title they released in Europa and USA, BUT, they will release others titles this fiscal year like Bayonetta 2, SMBU, and Hyrule warriors as we already know. Please read the information in the links if you want to know more.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:04:18 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: the finalcial status of the industry
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:54:58 am »
each quarter writing a resume of the quarter for SEGA-Sammy,

Something i introduced in the old Sega forums and then Sega nerds....memories...But Aki is the best of the best in this kind of thing now...

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:57:49 am »
in the next days all the companies will be doing this, SEGA-Sammy will give their numbers this friday for example.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:03:34 am »
in the next days all the companies will be doing this, SEGA-Sammy will give their numbers this friday for example.

I know...we all know...your talking to the place that talks finances on a regular basis...

I'm more interested in the final report which is due for March. But do realize these are public reports and not the full reports privy to shareholders.

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:07:35 am »
Yes, but it makes me angry that A LOT of people outside this site talk like they know a lot about this topic when they dont even know how to read this reports... thats why i made this topic, and of course to discuss the current situation of a determinade company between us.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:04:25 am »
Yes, but it makes me angry that A LOT of people outside this site talk like they know a lot about this topic when they dont even know how to read this reports... thats why i made this topic, and of course to discuss the current situation of a determinade company between us.

Then maybe its better to do it somewhere else and do what Aki does and point out the logistics.
Most fans are ignorant about the industry. They like to believe that Sega has no money or Nintendo could buy any company just like that without realizing it could lower their worth if they delve into their reserves. Which is why Nintendo hardly buys out that many big companies..

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 02:22:52 pm »
Sega is making money. Money enough to sustain it's employees, pay it's taxes if any, and not have to become something like HudsonSoft is.. A swatted fly thingy. Also here is the kicker most people do not really understand but they are implusive consumers. Meaning they can't turn away from consuming at all.

Well you have to look at Videogame sales not inluding PC, Handheld, or Cellphone.

Right now with money, their is no money right now. For the children, yes their is a profit to make from them. People who do not remember what happend on 2001, or is not affected by the anti-privacy, and anti-freedoms of what happen up till then.

Otherwise for older audience. If the whole thing was older audience their would be barely any business with videogames.

Let me say this. As long as they are toting around the idea of not really owning anything. All I can say, is their is no industry at all. I go inside of a gamestop and find them throwing away the actual cases of older games, just to stuff the games inside a bargan bin, with cheap plastic coverings. They do not care at all.

The motto is just to strip us of as much money as possible and make it seem that anybody cares at all.

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias

Offline ROJM

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 12:31:15 pm »
Well it seems Capcom's profits continue to go down...despite the big guns performance...

The company had to rely on sales of existing products during the last few months, and while titles like Dead Rising 3, Monster Hunter Frontier GG and Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy saw robust performances, it wasn't enough to offset the sales decrease.

Again its clear that games aren't enough for Capcom....

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:13:50 pm »

Why don't you put this up in the Sega in the Charts sticky? The Sega discussion gets more traffic than general gaming. You can always compare Sega's performance per quarter to other companies to make it pertinent.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:18:06 pm by jonboy101 »

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 01:00:52 pm »
Why don't you put this up in the Sega in the Charts sticky? The Sega discussion gets more traffic than general gaming. You can always compare Sega's performance per quarter to other companies to make it pertinent.
Thanks but i dont expect actually to have a long discussion XD. I will put this right here and if someome is interested they can read it.
Anyway here are some more reports:

Bandai-namco: http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/files/E88BB1E8AA9EE79FADE4BFA1_151QE79FADE4BFA1E382B5E38.pdf

Konami: http://www.konami.co.jp/zaimu/2014/0805/en_7uk6m5.pdf

Square-enix: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/15q1earnings.pdf

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 02:25:17 pm »
Well it seems Capcom's profits continue to go down...despite the big guns performance...

Again its clear that games aren't enough for Capcom....

Yeah it's always worth noting how Sega Sammy and Bandai Namco, for example, have other things to fall back on financially.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 03:22:45 pm »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 04:11:25 am »
Yeah it's always worth noting how Sega Sammy and Bandai Namco, for example, have other things to fall back on financially.

I know...it seems once again that Sega was ahead of the pack...back in 2003 it all seemed to most like it was the worst thing that could have happened to sega..even half the high ups in Sega were complaing about it. Now they pulling in a profit and have a more secure future than many of the other japanese companies out there. What people forget is whayt happens in Japan usually ends up happening in the west. Japan has seen a decline in traditional consoles and a surge in mobile and digital social gaming. Were starting to see the exact same pattern here in the west particularlly in our biggest markets the US and the UK. All that is selling big are estabilshed IP, especially ones with a big known brand. But the sales of digital and mobile are starting to eat way at the console profits and if it continues will start to overshadow the console gaming industry here in the next six to seven years.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 01:52:00 pm »
One thing for sure is Sega-Sammy has had more periods of profitability in the consumer side than many videogames companies, even with the pachinko money.

That's the reason why this company came out as "The best Japanese Gaming Company" in 2012 by a famous business magazine in Japan , terminating the yearly title for Nintendo . In 2013, it was Bandai-Namco.

Another thing is that Sega has more value than Sammy. You can see that companies like Tecmo-Koei or Namco-Bandai became Koei-Tecmo and Bandai-Namco respectively because of the value and the shares on the stock of one side is bigger than the other side.