Author Topic: The mobile gaming profit for SEGA west  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
The mobile gaming profit for SEGA west
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:04:02 pm »
Hi, this will be a short topic. I was just wondering how much do you guys think SEGA earns in the mobile industry. I know that in japan is a very powerfull industry, and that SEGA japan trust in mobile games a lot, but the core of this topic is about SEGA west and how much profit do you think they generate.
I believe they dont won that much today because they are a very big corporation and mobile games are not very popular in the west just yet, but i think that in a couple of years this market will be much bigger and if they focus in good and quality mobile games they will soon generate a lot of profit with them. So in conclusion my opinion is that they dont earn a lot today but at this speed with good games (Sonic dash, sonic jump, crazy taxi CR, ports, ETC), they wiil be one of the most powerfull mobile gaming companies in the west just like in Japan.

Thanks for reading, please give me your opinion.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
Re: The mobile gaming profit for SEGA west
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:20:31 pm »

I was talking in a podcast about this situation and i found out that big companies like Sega,EA and Ubisoft, even with millions and millions of downloads made in their mobile games, almost never make a sustancial profit for themselves in the west. Only the small companies with a hit game make profits, with merchandising included. 

That's because many people prefer download a f2p game from a big company and don't want to invest any money on them. You will see a dangerous cycle right here.

In Japan is different. JP players often invest in microtransactions and merchandising for any kind of game that is popular. See why PSO2 became so popular and profitable.

With that, we can say that we have resolved just why that game didn't come to the West. Simple as that.

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 11:33:44 pm »
Thats makes sense, i have the felling that PSO2 was at least unconsciously, a game for japanese audience with that format of F2P. I just think that the F2P model is not 100% adapted in the west yet, thats one of the reasons why i dont much trust in TOTAL WAR ARENA, that coming soon F2P game from SEGA and CA. I hope that in the future that business format can be more profitable for SEGA and the whole industry.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:31:46 am »
Not true..it depends on the game..SPIRAL KNIGHTS was quite succesful for Sega as well as the CASTLE OF ILLUSION remake and Sonic digital titles...FOOTBALL MANAGER got half of its sales through digital downloads alone.
Especially when you consider that the majority of games in the west from the digital side are ports of old titles.So Sega is making a mint from them anyway because it doesn't cost much to put them onto digital in the first place.

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:11:43 am »
I was talking in a podcast about this situation and i found out that big companies like Sega,EA and Ubisoft, even with millions and millions of downloads made in their mobile games, almost never make a sustancial profit for themselves in the west. Only the small companies with a hit game make profits, with merchandising included. 

That's because many people prefer download a f2p game from a big company and don't want to invest any money on them. You will see a dangerous cycle right here.

In Japan is different. JP players often invest in microtransactions and merchandising for any kind of game that is popular. See why PSO2 became so popular and profitable.

With that, we can say that we have resolved just why that game didn't come to the West. Simple as that.
That or those big western companies invest a shitton of money into big budget games and smaller companies generally only make low budget games.

Just a thought.

Also, games like Sonic Dash (which has been downloaded 65 million times by now) still profit from all of the ads that are shoved into your face while playing the game. So the players don't have to invest any money at all for the game to be profitable.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:14:55 am by TimmiT »

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 08:34:39 am »

Things in the east are different.

Number one, I could own a shitload of media of any kind, and age would not matter; Asides for other things. In the west they tried and take somebody down for owning "Berserk". Japanese game market are also nationalist, and takes pride in it's own culture.

Western game market craps on it's own culture, because of diversity and calls everybody who does not fit the standard alien, refugee, or freak-show. When it does try, they do little effort to include everybody in it.

In Japan ( or most eastern places ) I could own an hunky bulky computer, and have it with my brand new WiiU. It is all the same. In the west, I look like some umber dork, or old dude, or gay gamer. You know how hard it is to introduce games to non-game people when the only thing we could relate to is Candy crush.

I say PC88 they look at me like if am a weirdo. In the east they have girls into fiction that think like men ( I know I went to college ). In the west the women into fiction are out of shape, and very uncomfortable around male gamers. They would rather associate with men who are not into videogames.

Japan knows that, their products benefits their nations and gets everything cheaper rate then the west. Western game people looks at the products and knows they are getting a watered down product no matter which end. I say this because I myself have invested time and money into various ficitional works. The majority of games being pumped into the market place are censored no matter which way.

That is why the people in Japan feel comfortable with purchasing products, with no value. They have so much "under the belt", they have no or little worries. Island sinks, lets go to Korea. Korea gets invaded, we are all Chinese now......that kind of thinking. West everybodies business is everybody business. No Noahs ark, no community.

So on to main subject......................................

It is impossible with the current state of privacy laws, freedoms, and so forth. If the laws could be limited to each state, and not thrown on to the nation. Nobody wants to invest into a product they can not own. All I am getting is data. If this was 1991, nobody in their right mind would do this. Where is the meat? Where is the plastic gold?

In fact I will admit, I just got rid of my phone ( literally gone with the wind ), and I am planing on turning back my home phone right now. I find the portable/disposable phones for emergencies, and things like that. I am sick of having a giant tracking device on me, with cameras on every end, that turns on, or even knows my voice. These things are nice for travel and emergencies but people in real life should be aware of their surroundings.

One day it will become the norm. But right now everybody is being brainwashed and pushed into this corner. Every media we love is not small enough to be stored in an purse. That is not fair to anybody. I am not a military person stranded in a wasteland, nore a person living inside a 3rd world nation. That is why we can't have what they have. Their is no pride with cell phone games.

In order for SEGA or any other game company to get that. People need to go to city council and make it a big deal of violation of persons privacy, They even attempt to violate a persons property at the airport. Yeah great I mean like yeah I can order all the stuff I want that has no value. That is real nice, inside of a purse, like what a woman wears. But when it comes to men....ohhh nooeesss.

Right now the current status of the law deems that your wireless property is not even your property at all. That is very uncomfortable to know or live with.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:06:07 am by RegalSin »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 11:59:26 am »
What in Yoda's name are you talking about, now?  ::)

If you can't stick to the actual topic and make a bit more sense please refrain from the need of giving us the insight of your "wisdom" in this or any other particular topic.
Its just getting silly now.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:01:16 pm by ROJM »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 12:08:11 pm »

Also, games like Sonic Dash (which has been downloaded 65 million times by now) still profit from all of the ads that are shoved into your face while playing the game. So the players don't have to invest any money at all for the game to be profitable.
And the thing is a lot of people do because they don't think of the money while playing a game like this. Its not on the level of a £60 pounds game...the money is usually peanuts compared to that.
All i know Sega's investment in F2P made them a lot of cash..initially with SPIRAL KNIGHTS, than with PSO 2 and Initial D: Power Drift Online etc etc. So stick to a good thing...

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 12:30:04 pm »
Not true..it depends on the game..SPIRAL KNIGHTS was quite succesful for Sega as well as the CASTLE OF ILLUSION remake and Sonic digital titles...FOOTBALL MANAGER got half of its sales through digital downloads alone.
Especially when you consider that the majority of games in the west from the digital side are ports of old titles.So Sega is making a mint from them anyway because it doesn't cost much to put them onto digital in the first place.

Thansk for the info, but i agree that the digital choice is profitable in the west right now, i was most trying to find out how good are the mobile titles for SEGA, if they make good money for them or not, not actually the ones that sale the most in the digital platform.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 01:09:55 pm »
Do not have to read everything below. I will just state for women ( or men who are classed as women ), having everything inside a phone is good for them. That is it, but for men. I need my privacy, and rights. It is right now impossible for SEGA or any company to do just cell phone games and make an real profit.

Strike two dude. Can you not bash genders and sexual orientations? Thanks! Enjoy the temporary ban.

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 01:13:22 pm »
jajaja "enjoy the temporary ban" that was a good one jaja.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 01:33:37 pm »
Strike two dude. Can you not bash genders and sexual orientations? Thanks! Enjoy the temporary ban.
I'm surprised you made any sense to what he was talking about to begin with....

Offline ROJM

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 01:36:59 pm »

Thansk for the info, but i agree that the digital choice is profitable in the west right now, i was most trying to find out how good are the mobile titles for SEGA, if they make good money for them or not, not actually the ones that sale the most in the digital platform.
Well downloading a game like FOOTBALL MANAGER or even BINARY DOMAIN i don't have a problem with. But i'm not keen on the focus on digital mobile games and their off shoot of F2P..which isn't really free at all.Now they are going towards console/pc handhelds using big name Sega games... PSO took this route..so did INITIAL D..were probably going to see various Sega franchises take that route as well. Especially when they are retracting console development more and more. Ilike to play a game through without paying everytime for the privilege to do so to get to the next level...

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 08:21:06 am »
PSO2 ( rolls eyes ) took the digital route because they want people to play with each other. Also they can upgrade the game off the fly. Maybe when they end it, they will make an offline version. SEGA wants as little hassle with another PSO release to prevent all the bs of ports and bs of graphics.

I wasn't bashing non-heterosexuals or genders.

I am trying to say they took media ( like all the media inside of your "Game Room" ) and stuffed it inside of a womans purse.

They took our consumer base, and told us "it is fine to purchase something with no value". Again with the VHS to DVD ( Japan and Europe had VCD ) to Compressed DVD to Blu-Ray. Now all of that including posters an action figures are now stuffed inside of a cell phone.

You see this fellow

This fellow here is a computer person. However he is haunted by low-life minded individuals. By that I mean people who are not making as much money as him. Filling his head bs all the time. He is willing to commit himself to a false image. An image that could lead to an unknown heart attack ( see WWF and Sylvester Stallone heart operation ). Then again he is also told he should be into sports and this and that. Why? Because he wants to have friends who do not like what he likes, or anything else near it. Just for the sake of being around people. In fact I will probably end up like that??? ( I like the hot pink )

The excuse for this guy is that he is willing to conform, because their are enough peers around him, who are against his way of life. A poser pretending he is something that he is not.

WE MIGHT BE LIVING IN A NEW AGE BUT WE ARE STILL PLAYING BY OLD WORLD RULES

That is what I was talking about. Took everything that we enjoyed and stuffed it into an woman purse, even CENSORED it so women could enjoy it too. I will admit, their might be one or two games on a cell phone that I want to play. But it is not fair, to me as a gamer and as a dude.

Now even my opposite equal have more things then me. All I have is a stupid all in one device.
I know you do not get what I am saying Barry but eventually it will come a time, where materialistic goods will be bared and they will find a way to rob people of their belongings. Leaving them with data.

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 01:31:23 pm »
Yes Barry, you couldn't possibly get what he is saying. Get with the times here. *dies laughing*