Author Topic: Seriously: Why does sega keep ignoring great franchises ?  (Read 11669 times)

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
Seriously: Why does sega keep ignoring great franchises ?
« on: April 17, 2014, 05:48:12 pm »
I was checking some old topics of this forum like "what games sega should remade" and "franchises we want back" and many users made posts about their wishlists.
This is not another thread about those lists.
I want to debate with you guys the reasons/theories for Sega ignoring their old/gold franchises (Regardless of which ones they are).

Don't you guys think Sega is being bad managed/administered ?
There are plenty of small developers which could make a good use of a loaned game rights and keep their franchises alive.
What do you guys think.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
Re: Seriously: Why does sega keep ignoring great franchises ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:29:45 pm »
Sega of Japan is pretty much giving us what we want when it comes down to releasing classics as you can see on the archives.sega.jp site and are pretty good at advertising visual wise. The Western division has a pretty good line up but makes weird decisions when it comes to marketing. I hope that SEGA West can give the IPs more of a push and more exposure.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:41:04 pm »
Depends on the title. Most of SEGA's back catalogue of games are financial failures and/or never sold enough to justify development into the HD era of gaming.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:35:45 am »
This new generation has been an awkward phase for major Japanese publishers, with the exception of maybe Bandai Namco and Tecmo-Koei if you consider them major.

I read a while ago actually that Skies of Arcadia Legends did much better in the West (probably NA) than it did in Japan.

I think there is mishandling and improper promotion at times but hard to say without a specific title. The gaming climate and audience has changed too, compared to the past.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline fernandeath

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:31:57 am »
Depends on the title. Most of SEGA's back catalogue of games are financial failures and/or never sold enough to justify development into the HD era of gaming.

Sega should reinvent them: study their reasons for being  a failure at the time and see how could they turn into more profitable/popular series.
Like Nintendo did with Kid icarus.

Offline Kuronoa

• Segalization
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:40:51 am »
Unfortunately it isn't just Sega.  When is the last time we had something like Power Stone 3 or Twinbee?
We also have to respect the original developer may be long gone to greenlit something risky or some things are meant to be a one-shot.

That said, Sega is trying.  They keep canceling Streets of Rage 4 that is a sign they are looking into the franchise all those years.  Crossovers bring back series like Alex Kidd, Space Channel 5 and Fighting Vipers.
I agree that they can revive something and market it well.  Sega fans can be really touchy so they have to think hard on each decision.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 06:56:13 am »
SEGA has brought back old franchises, but most of the time they aren't exactly successful in doing so. See the Golden Axe and Altered Beast revivals. Of course, we've also had good revivals like the two Shinobi reboots and the Castle of Illusion remake, but I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA wants to be more protective of their brands now.

Offline SGTPepperJack

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 05:57:06 pm »
Well they did say atlus has acces to all their dormant  ip's, so they may cooking something up.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 06:10:00 pm by SGTPepperJack »

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 03:48:11 pm »
How big is Atlus? They're already working on Persona 5, and contributing to Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. If they do ever revisit an old Sega franchise, I don't expect anything anytime soon.

Offline Kuronoa

• Segalization
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 06:16:41 pm »
They handled more than just 1 major title if that is what you mean.  Devil Survivor dev is actually Career Soft (Growlanser), and then there's Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Center staff...
But really, the other titles they have coming are from another developers.  Dingo for Persona Dancing and Arc System Works for the fighter.  They contract quite a bit of developers under their belt.

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 06:45:56 am »
Also, if they are making a new game in a SEGA franchise, they would only just have started development. So at the very least it'd be a couple of a years until Atlus releases one.

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 02:07:54 pm »
oh. I suppose the fact that Trauma Center is a defunct franchise :( and Etrian Odyssey has quite a length of time between releases does free them up, alongside their contracting of developers.

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 07:01:04 am »
oh. I suppose the fact that Trauma Center is a defunct franchise :( and Etrian Odyssey has quite a length of time between releases does free them up, alongside their contracting of developers.
I wouldn't say that about Etrian Odyssey. Last year there was Etrian Odyssey IV and Untold (at least in the US) and this year there's going to be Persona Q, which is basically Etrian Odyssey except with Persona characters.

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 02:08:32 pm »
I wouldn't say that about Etrian Odyssey. Last year there was Etrian Odyssey IV and Untold (at least in the US) and this year there's going to be Persona Q, which is basically Etrian Odyssey except with Persona characters.

As I understand it, Untold is a remake of the first game. Prior to 4's release in Japan, the third game came out in April of 2010 and then the second in February of 2008. Each mainline release was spaced apart by about two years after I -> II. Untold I think is a unique situation. And there aren't likely any EO games currently being made, unless in the planning stages.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 06:18:52 am »
I wouldn't mind ATLUS publishing 7th Dragon 2020-II.

They have experience with Etrian Odyssey to make that happen.

Although it WOULD compete against its own franchises (Persona Q and EO) if they did.

If anything, we MAY get a crossover of Etrian Odyssey and 7th Dragon if that were the case.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.