Author Topic: Nagoshi has become a Company Director at Atlus  (Read 7081 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Nagoshi has become a Company Director at Atlus
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:18:48 am »
http://sega.jp/corp/release/2013/1101//

Today is Nov 1, the day that all Atlus staff are officially under Sega management. Sega has put out a press release announcing that they are renaming the company from the temporary name "Sega Dream" to "Index", which is the original name of the they bought over.

The President of Index is Naoya Tsurumi, the Vice-President is Yasuhiro Hamada, and curiously enough Toshihiro Nagoshi is one of the company directors.         

Persona X Yakuza confirmed.

but yeah, you know if Nagoshi is involved.. that means... something!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88241431&postcount=1

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: Nagoshi has become a Company Director at Atlus
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:24:43 am »
Next Persona to have manly middle-aged men as protagonists?!?!1!1

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:48:28 pm »
Nagoshi will ensure we don't get a Persona game that has no pedestrians.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 02:30:13 pm »
Next Persona to have manly middle-aged men as protagonists?!?!1!1

what about college setting persona!!?!?!?!!?!?!?! =0 Or Haruka confirmed as Persona 5 MC.

Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:25:04 am »
I wonder if Persona 5 is announced and Nagioshi states that it'll be in the same position as Yakuza 5 for the west?

If so, then perhaps him being Company Director isn't such a good idea....
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:28:14 am »
I wonder if Persona 5 is announced and Nagioshi states that it'll be in the same position as Yakuza 5 for the west?

If so, then perhaps him being Company Director isn't such a good idea....

Persona sells in the West.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 03:03:11 pm »
I understand that it sells more than Yakuza in the west, but overall it's sales (I also include the SMT series) are mostly in the 100'000s, which is considered pretty small compared to other SEGA franchises.

Not that I want Persona 5 to never make it in the west, but I don't have that much hope in Nagioshi's decisions if Yakuza 5 is any indication. He could be the best thing to happen to ATLUS, but until then I am skeptical at best. I just hope he realises that the niche market DOES want both ATLUS and SEGA games in the west.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 04:45:43 pm »
I understand that it sells more than Yakuza in the west, but overall it's sales (I also include the SMT series) are mostly in the 100'000s, which is considered pretty small compared to other SEGA franchises.

Not that I want Persona 5 to never make it in the west, but I don't have that much hope in Nagioshi's decisions if Yakuza 5 is any indication. He could be the best thing to happen to ATLUS, but until then I am skeptical at best. I just hope he realises that the niche market DOES want both ATLUS and SEGA games in the west.

You cannot compare Persona to Yakuza in terms of sales, it usually takes 3 or more Yakuza games US sales to match one Persona title.

And SEGA have shown to be fine with sales of 100,000 or more, otherwise titles like 7th Dragon or Shining would not exist. I know everyone likes to believe that just because Yakuza 5 was not brought over that means SEGA are going to cut out every other title but Yakuza is not the same level of niche as Persona nor is Yakuza 5 like the previous entry (30 hour long story mode, 5 hours worth of playing as a girl trying to become an idol)

And just to hit home the size difference between Persona and Yakuza, the Persona released on Vita sold more in America than Yakuza 3, 4 and Dead Souls.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 05:51:46 am »
You cannot compare Persona to Yakuza in terms of sales, it usually takes 3 or more Yakuza games US sales to match one Persona title.

And SEGA have shown to be fine with sales of 100,000 or more, otherwise titles like 7th Dragon or Shining would not exist. I know everyone likes to believe that just because Yakuza 5 was not brought over that means SEGA are going to cut out every other title but Yakuza is not the same level of niche as Persona nor is Yakuza 5 like the previous entry (30 hour long story mode, 5 hours worth of playing as a girl trying to become an idol)

And just to hit home the size difference between Persona and Yakuza, the Persona released on Vita sold more in America than Yakuza 3, 4 and Dead Souls.

Maybe I can't, but a successful title to ATLUS may not be so successful to SEGA.

They seem to be happy not localising those games to the west either despite being happy with 100,000 or more in sales in Japan, and they're probably less of a risk than Yakuza if we look at it that way, especially 7th Dragon which looks like ATLUS' own Dungeon Crawling series. (I forgot the name of it. >_<)

I don't personally believe that Yakuza 5 is the be all and end all, but Nagioshi's own Studio hasn't made a game that has sold that well in the west. Not saying he will pull the plug on Persona, since it does sell much better, but I still have my doubts in his decision making if Yakuza, the franchise he wants to do well Worldwide, hasn't managed that due to many different factors in the west.

That makes me wonder why SEGA would release something like Yakuza in the west for consoles, knowing it sells low numbers but won't localise any PSP projects, which are potentially less of a risk. I understand the console itself isn't that big here (bigger market in Europe though), but surely it'd sell more than a single Yakuza game? Valkyria Chronicles II did roughly around 100,000?