Author Topic: AM2 hiring Virtua Fighter. VF6 incoming?  (Read 28587 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
AM2 hiring Virtua Fighter. VF6 incoming?
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:26:55 pm »
Today, Sega of Japan posted a Job Advertisement for 3 part-time positions related to work with AM2 and on the Virtua Fighter Series. The job description includes assisting with production, organizing/creating events, and working on the VF.net mobile website. Specifically, they are looking to hire fans of the Virtua Fighter series. Application deadline is December 7th and the job begins in February 1, 2013.

What does this mean for most of the Virtua Fighter fans outside of Japan? There is speculation amongst the Japanese VFers that these jobs are directly related to the 20th Anniversary of Virtua Fighter in 2013 and Virtua Fighter 6.
http://virtuafighter.com/threads/sega-posted-employment-ad-related-to-the-virtua-fighter-series.17024/

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: AM2 hiring Virtua Fighter. VF6 incoming?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 04:36:46 pm »
Let it be preparations for VF6. The vf series is consistently head and shoulders above all other fighters.

Street fighter had a case for it, but took steps back from sf3 third strike when they made sf4 and I can't stand tekken in any form. Dead or Alive is fun, but not serious as is Soul Calibur.

No, the king needs to return to the throne. VF6!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 04:54:39 pm »
^I agree, and considering the work Sega had done on VF5 FS to get it bigger in the west, I really think VF6 could make even more of a splash. If they put on events and get a console/western release out in decent time then I would be over the moon.

It's also worth noting that it's the 20th Anniversary next year for VF. It would be great if they have some big release to honor that.

If it is a new game entirely, that would mean two new characters for the fold as well. I personally would like to see them bring Siba back, who was originally meant to be in VF1 and then made a guest appearance in Fighters Megamix. I would love to see them bring him back with some kind of middle-eastern fighting style (and not using his sword, naturally).

Also, inb4 Aki-at makes an "Exclusive to iOS!" joke.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 08:50:26 pm »
Let it be preparations for VF6. The vf series is consistently head and shoulders above all other fighters.

Street fighter had a case for it, but took steps back from sf3 third strike when they made sf4 and I can't stand tekken in any form. Dead or Alive is fun, but not serious as is Soul Calibur.

No, the king needs to return to the throne. VF6!

you are so right. vf 3tb is bad ass on the arcades. much nicer graphics then the dc.
vf4 and 5 cant say anything about it its just too good

as for vf 1. just noticed the waves of ripoffs back then?
 fx fightr battle arena toshinden.
and then when vf 2 came out they were defeated hard.

the only tekken i like is tekken 3. the rest is seriously the same.
you got to give soul calibur props. its not better or wors then vf. its a whole different gameplay and franchise with weapons.

as for the underdogs like bloody roar its a forgotten game cause games like virtua fighter are on the market.

basically to explain this in charts
1. virtua fighter
2.mortal kombat
3. soul calibur
4. dead or alive
5. used to be streetfighter. but i lost my love for it cause their 3d is terrible
this goes for sf vs tekken as well

basically virtua fighter is the best cause it is strategically a difficult game u cant just bash and defeat an experienced fighters. you are obligated to use all tools such as dodge block kick combinations.
its not quite mma but it has takedowns. this game honors kung fu and thai box and all standing strike and kick fighting categorys. and even tho the characters are fictional. but still the fighting itself is realistic when speaking about the rule of standing strikes and kicks.

dead or alive is bs. yeah its cool but bs in these terms cause it has some non realistic moves like in tekken.
.  if vf wasnt there id go for mk cause the time the makers have put in these game still have their fruit and it goes better by time.

perhaps
in my opinion
but even vf 5 is still the top best. people are crying for getting that came. shodown came out. and we gotta admit there were no big changes. but people will buy it cause they want the extra players and moves and fastness. and this is one of those occassions that people wont complain why not vf6? cause the game is just so good ud be happy to buy that same game with a character extra :P

my question that pops up is. how will they make a better game then vf5?
i really wonder
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:56:03 pm by semmie »

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 12:01:05 am »
VF, while being an excellent fighting game has always struggled finding a western audience as it is stylistically and visually less iconic than any of its competitors.  It will continue to be an underdog until some serious image tweaking is done; whether that's a new take on the character designs or a new graphical style that stands out.  VF6 could be the entry that finally does this. 

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 01:41:04 am »
Sweet news about VF6, but I kinda wished it was Fighting Vipers 3 for the arcades. Oh well, I wonder what they'll do for the 20th Anniversary?

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 02:19:59 am »
VF, while being an excellent fighting game has always struggled finding a western audience as it is stylistically and visually less iconic than any of its competitors.  It will continue to be an underdog until some serious image tweaking is done; whether that's a new take on the character designs or a new graphical style that stands out.  VF6 could be the entry that finally does this.

unfortunately to obtain this goal u have to use the sex sells policy. soul calibur titties
dead or alive has titties
vf has moooooore quality then any game. but being the underdog s good. cause if it bows down to this iconic item which will lead to a game that is not vf except for its name
. a dilemma if u ask. cause it has to sell. none the less its the best fighting game ever

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 02:41:25 am »
basically to explain this in charts
1. virtua fighter
2.mortal kombat
3. soul calibur
4. dead or alive
5. used to be streetfighter. but i lost my love for it cause their 3d is terrible
this goes for sf vs tekken as well

pffft bwahahahaha

Mortal Kombat? Really?

but even vf 5 is still the top best. people are crying for getting that came. shodown came out. and we gotta admit there were no big changes. but people will buy it cause they want the extra players and moves and fastness. and this is one of those occassions that people wont complain why not vf6? cause the game is just so good ud be happy to buy that same game with a character extra :P

Final Showdown was massively different to Virtua Fighter 5 vanilla. I don't want to go into too much detail (unless someone is curious), but it was pretty much a new game with the changes that were made in between 5 and Final Showdown.

In terms of making it more popular, they are on the right track. They need to support it more in the west, in terms of marketing it I think running events, interacting with the communities and just making it available to play (rather than being Japan arcades only for so long) goes a long way. Don't change the game and aesthetics too radically to appeal to people or you'll end up pleasing nobody. They already have introduced great ideas with the character customisations and social media interactions.

One thing I think people need to stop doing is making it sound like it's really complicated or difficult, because it's really not.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 03:56:50 am »
VF is pretty much the only series I never want to see deviate from its current formula. The custom costumes were great as they allowed gamers to get silly without changing anything about the game's dynamic.

No Fighting Game Gimmicks Please!

If it's a spin off series then fine, do VF vs DoA vs Street Fighter with Lau tagging in Akira who comes in and throws a fireball.

But if it's a numbered VF game, leave the current formula alone!

That being said. What would intrigue me the most would be the new characters.

Since a new combat style is always represented, what you would like to see next? Let's say two new characters (other sega characters allowed).

I'll start.

1. A straight up boxer, about Jeffery's size, maybe a bit on the chubby side. If it's to be a sega character, maybe R.Bear from streets of rage?

2. A rough and tumble escrima fighter (no weapons though), or subbing that a hong-kong fighter, with a wing-chun or choy lay fut style. Something a little more rough/tough than Lau and Pai's refined kung fu.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 04:27:19 am »

It has more to do with SEGA's lack of showing it off than it's own image. Virtua Fighter 4, for example, was the best selling Playstation 2 fighter last generation.

Also no Mang, it's so clearly going to be an Android exclusive.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 04:43:56 am »
It has more to do with SEGA's lack of showing it off than it's own image. Virtua Fighter 4, for example, was the best selling Playstation 2 fighter last generation.

The best selling PS2 fighter last generation?  What do you mean by that, exactly?  I'm pretty sure it never got close to the numbers of Tekken tag tournament.  Do you mean it was the most popular fighter released in the final years of the PS2's life? 

Also I see a lot of blame being shifted on sega's advertising/exposure but you've got to admit that the title needs to sell itself to a certain extent as well.  If didn't know anything about Sega and I saw Binary Domain or VF on a store shelf, no way in hell would I consider buying them.  Their art styles are both just too bland.   

Offline celsowm

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 10:46:14 am »
I would see a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Fighter in the next Virtua Fighter !

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 03:01:41 pm »
I would see a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Fighter in the next Virtua Fighter !

jiu jitsu is arm lock leg lock and bars therefor if that would be implemented in that game ?
that would mean that vf is not a standing strike and kick game anymore.
the only form of mma that vf does are the takedowns and one time ground pound. right after that its standing.

but hey everything is possible :) if u want that it might happen without deviate from its origin.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 03:15:58 pm »
A boxer would be interesting to see, but I really hope that they would give him the ability to kick! Boxers are fully capable of kicking people, they have two functioning legs, most games featuring boxers ignore this!
I understand that Boxing as a sport doesn't allow kicks, but surely in a fight they would be using them if it was beneficial.

He doesn't have to do jumping crescent kicks or anything but he should be able to put the knee in and throw a middle kick at least. Obviously his main repertoire would be punch combinations but he should be able to have some kick moves too.

Only problem is, how different would he then be from Brad? I picture a boxer having lots of punch strings and ducking and weaving which is... exactly what Brad already has. Still, Lau and Pai started out so similar and they managed to diverge into unique playstyles so maybe the same can be done.

For another idea, what about Tai Kwan Do? That would be an interesting style to see in VF for sure.

As for purely aesthetics/features, I'd like them to include more cameos as part of the character customisations. Sega knows everyone wants to make Ryo with Akira, so why not make the whole costume? You can make a pretty close Goro Majima with Goh, but why not go even further by putting in his full tattoo and a more accurate shirt/pants etc?

In addition, if VF6 is a retail release, I'd like to see the Quest mode make a return, and even better, make an online quest mode. It would be great if you could play Player or Ranked matches and rank up your character and win items.

EDIT: Semmie: don't forget that Goh uses Judo which is supposed to be entirely grappling as well with little to no strikes, but they made that character work by combining his Judo with a number of strikes. It seems like most characters fight with a mix of disciplines to give them a good range of tools.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:18:27 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 03:45:53 pm »
A boxer would be interesting to see, but I really hope that they would give him the ability to kick! Boxers are fully capable of kicking people, they have two functioning legs, most games featuring boxers ignore this!
I understand that Boxing as a sport doesn't allow kicks, but surely in a fight they would be using them if it was beneficial.

He doesn't have to do jumping crescent kicks or anything but he should be able to put the knee in and throw a middle kick at least. Obviously his main repertoire would be punch combinations but he should be able to have some kick moves too.

Only problem is, how different would he then be from Brad? I picture a boxer having lots of punch strings and ducking and weaving which is... exactly what Brad already has. Still, Lau and Pai started out so similar and they managed to diverge into unique playstyles so maybe the same can be done.

For another idea, what about Tai Kwan Do? That would be an interesting style to see in VF for sure.

As for purely aesthetics/features, I'd like them to include more cameos as part of the character customisations. Sega knows everyone wants to make Ryo with Akira, so why not make the whole costume? You can make a pretty close Goro Majima with Goh, but why not go even further by putting in his full tattoo and a more accurate shirt/pants etc?

In addition, if VF6 is a retail release, I'd like to see the Quest mode make a return, and even better, make an online quest mode. It would be great if you could play Player or Ranked matches and rank up your character and win items.

EDIT: Semmie: don't forget that Goh uses Judo which is supposed to be entirely grappling as well with little to no strikes, but they made that character work by combining his Judo with a number of strikes. It seems like most characters fight with a mix of disciplines to give them a good range of tools.

truth that. there are a lot of mma skills included and goh is indeed a grappler. so unfortunate for me but ill take that partially back. the game itself tho is mainly in standing. and even goh the grappler after doing his grapple he stands up and kick and punches.
to be precise the game doesnt have its main focus to stay on the ground. it will take max 4 seconds on the ground. so there is a limit to it. you wont see goh chilling on the ground like wwf or ufc.

but i agree with you. im not debating you. im just trying to make myself more understandable.

yeah boxers can kick. we have seen that in mma. a knee or low kick is what they do. their main focus is bxin yeah. but there are types of boxers like
english boxing
3dimensional boxers that box on head body and even boxing the knees.
these kind of boxers are so good they dont need to kick cause they use their arms from the upper part to the lowest.
boxers tend to be very good in holding someone and choking

the 2 combos not mentioned in vf yet

a 3dimensional boxer with choking and neckbreaking skills
or a pure english boxer with good dodging skills right after counters

its an idea