Author Topic: The Big Blue - an effort to revive ECCO The dolphin  (Read 7373 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
The Big Blue - an effort to revive ECCO The dolphin
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:38:14 am »
At first it was a rumour but now there is a very strong possibility that a new ECCO THE DOLPHIN game is in the works with the original creator Ed Annunziata being involved as well as Spencer  Nielsen the soudtrack composer also returning, two stawarts from the genesis era back at Sega!

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/23/ecco-creator-meets-with-sega/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:25:48 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Sega wants to revive ECCO The dolphin
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:06:50 am »
Would love for this to happen! Ideally as an HD 2D title for digital platforms. Hopefully opening the doors for more sequels in this realm. If we got a Sonic 4, why not another Ecco? A true third 2D title for the series? And if that goes well, get some sequels for more Genesis/Master System classics!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:38:47 am »
Been following Ed for a while and knew about this way back when he was originally at SEGA's office, but nothing I think too many people are going to get excited about. Ed's been working on mostly iOS games and very favourable towards the platform, so if I was a betting man, it'll be an Ecco game on iOS.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:03:20 pm »
Yep, it's mostly likely heading into that direction (iOS, Android, Windows Phone).

Would be great to see a new HD Ecco though. Think about it, they could do something along the lines of a more traditional adventure game, but in an open-world context. You'd have main story quests, gain powers, use those powers to discover hidden secrets, easter eggs, etc.

But... I hope they don't include sharks... It's one of the reasons I never actually finished Defender of the Future on the Dreamcast (btw, check out some the gameplay videos, 'cause for a non-cell shaded DC game, this one doesn't look like it aged at all.)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:21:50 pm »
"We're bringing back an old IP!"
*Cheers*
"...as an iPhone game!"
*Vomits*

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:57:41 am »
"We're bringing back an old IP!"
*Cheers*
"...as an iPhone game!"
*Vomits*

Not SEGA's idea, actually an idea from the creator of Ecco himself. He also dislikes Microsoft strongly I believe, which is what, if the game does become an exclusive to iOS, played a part to.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 06:08:39 am »
To be honest, I don't think it being an iOS game will hamper the Ecco experience... I could see it working well.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 11:54:16 am »
The thing was i thought that this may happen with the 3DS giving older Sega Genesis IPs a new leash of life but of course things didn't work out for sega on that platform as they thought. But prehaps if it is done well on this platform it may give way to other classic games like COMIC ZONE and TOEJAM AND EARL.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 11:52:46 am »
Not SEGA's idea, actually an idea from the creator of Ecco himself. He also dislikes Microsoft strongly I believe, which is what, if the game does become an exclusive to iOS, played a part to.

Yep Its not SEGA that really wants to revive Ecco but the creator and I wish him well and also wish SEGA would bring Ecco DC to XBLA and PSN
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 08:25:16 am »
Bumping this since The Big Blue kickstarter is going on.

I don't think they'll make their goal: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/annunziata/the-next-ecco-the-dolphin-adventure-game

48k with 17 days to go, they want to hit a whopping 665k!