Author Topic: Recommend some obscure Dreamcast Games  (Read 18135 times)

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Recommend some obscure Dreamcast Games
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:40:41 pm »
Alright everyone, September 9th almost here. Let's recommend some of the more obscure Dreamcast titles to play on DC's birthday. I'll start:

1. I-Spy -- a very unique, anime-based, tactical RPG

2. Cosmic Smash -- Rez meets Squash?? Tonnes of fun though.

3, Outtrigger -- Yeah, Ok, it's not obscure, but I'll definitely be playing it. Such an underrated game that would glow if it got a steam re-release.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Recommend some obscure Dreamcast Games
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 05:05:10 pm »
SEGA Tetris: Japan-only hardcorest of hardcore tetris game with monkeys and shit

Mars Matrix: Great MVS shmup in the vein of GigaWing, but better. Go play Mars Matrix.

Silent Scope: Not quite obscure, but sniper fun fo sure.

Tokyo Highway Challenge 2: Many people disregard it as a copycat pointless racer, but it is in fact of of the deepest arcade racing games of all time. All cars are licensed, very fun.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:43:00 pm »
Looking at my shelf behind me:

BOMBER hehhe!! - A Japanese exclusive, but very import friendly. Basically you are tasked with blowing up buildings. You place the charges and then stand back and watch the destruction. There is also a mini game section where you either destory with tanks or arial bombers or cannons in real time.

ROOMMANIA#203 - Another Japanese exclusive, and again very import friendly. Just need to print out a walkthrough. You're basically this Japanese guy's guardian angel (or a ghost or something) and you use ping pong balls to get him to do things. You can also move stuff and turn things on/off to freak him out. My favorite is locking him out of his apartment and watching him climb in through the window.

Expendable - A fun 3D shoot em up for two players. Not the most amazing graphics, but great two player fun and lots of power ups.

Floigan Bros - Sad this never got a second episode. It's part platformer, part virtual pet (in that you're big dumb brother is the virtual pet). You play games with him and be good/bad towards him to complete tasks. Short game, but a lot of fun and great Looney Tunes style animation.

Tech Romancer - One of the more obscure Capcom fighters. It's done in the style of Japanese giant robot tv shows, with each fighter being from a different style of show.

Wacky Racers - The BEST kart racer for the Dreamcast. Great graphics, great gameplay, a cool "story" mode with a 3D hub you drive about in. Since it's based on an old Hannah-Barbera show, the characters are recognizable. Just an all around awesome game. Same goes for Looney Tunes Space Race.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:28:51 pm »
Sakura Wars 3. Gamefaqs should have a translation guide and Fighting Vipers 2.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 11:03:00 pm »
Super Magnetic Neo. Fun, gorgeous, hard as fuck platformer that is built for speed runs. This is probably the most difficult platformer you'll ever play.

Might also want to take a look at some of my weekly fives for a few other games I'd mention here: http://segabits.com/blog/2012/09/08/weekly-five-5-dreamcast-games-that-are-still-relevant/

http://segabits.com/blog/2011/09/09/weekly-five-best-unknown-dreamcast-games/

Oh, and another handy punch of games from nSEGA

http://segabits.com/blog/2011/09/09/editorial-great-dc-games-that-most-people-hated/

Offline Cornerb0y

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 12:58:53 am »
Illbleed
E.G.G.
Record of Lodoss War
Stupid Invaders (wish I owned it!)

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 04:39:19 am »

ROOMMANIA#203 - Another Japanese exclusive, and again very import friendly. Just need to print out a walkthrough. You're basically this Japanese guy's guardian angel (or a ghost or something) and you use ping pong balls to get him to do things. You can also move stuff and turn things on/off to freak him out. My favorite is locking him out of his apartment and watching him climb in through the window.

Sold. Gotta see this one for myself.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 08:12:05 am »
Napple Tale: Arsia In Daydream (Import) - An RPG/platformer with a cool atmosphere and some really great music.
Confidential Mission - Really fun lightgun shooter from SEGA. Think Virtua Cop meets James Bond.
Giant Gram 2000: All Japan Pro Wrestling 3 (Import) - A SEGA developed wrestling game featuring the likes of Vader, Johnny Ace and Wolf from Virtua Fighter.
Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness - A fun puzzle-ish game where you go around maps collecting pellets, and fruit, but the maps are pretty interactive, and there are lots of enemies to avoid.
Cannon Spike - A top down shooter where you can play as Mega Man and Cammy.
Under Defeat: Limited Edition (Import) - A late Dreamcast shooter (there are tons) where you pilot a helicopter. The graphics are pretty wild.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 08:29:44 am »
I don't see this mentioned anywhere, so I'll go with it:

CARRIER

This game came out in the US around the same time Code Veronica hit stores. The PAL version was released a year later.
I'll let CGR do all the talkin':
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ZcLovBYr0[/youtube]

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 09:36:48 am »
Nuckles, you poopie head! You didn't share my article from ages ago: http://segabits.com/blog/2011/07/22/the-weekly-five-lesser-known-dreamcast-exclusives/

Great selection of games, whoever wrote that knows their shit.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 11:53:36 am »
Zerogunner 2 is a great Shmup which I still play every now and then. I don't know if there are many shmups like it but you can turn 360 degrees in it which is something I haven't seen before.

Offline JohnOfRage

• Total Meseta: 2
  • "Bare Knuckle"
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 06:11:51 pm »
Stupid Invaders  ;D ;) ;) ;)

Spawn In The Demon's Hand

Power Stone 1 & 2

Physic Force 2012

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 05:52:40 pm »
Stupid Invaders ;D ;) ;) ;)

Spawn In The Demon's Hand

Power Stone 1 & 2

Physic Force 2012

Is this game good?? I remember this game from when I was a kid, but never got to play it.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 05:54:09 pm »
Stupid Invaders is decent. It is one of the few point and click adventures for the DC. It's pretty difficult, but worth checking out if you like the genre and can get it for a fair price. Heres the old IGN review: http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/06/29/stupid-invaders

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 11:01:21 pm »
Nobody mentioned Speed Devils? Still one of my all time favourite racing games. It had so many cool concepts that never were repeated in other games. Great arcade racing action.