Author Topic: Nagoshi announce BlackPanther 2 [PSP], announces RGG studio, RGG5 in developmnte  (Read 16113 times)

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
about Yakuza 5
Asked about the concept of the game, Nagoshi said that when looking at the "drama" side of the series, the concept will not see major changes. However, he feels that they must pursue new things in terms of technology and play style. They're aiming to innovate on the gameplay side of things.

Asked about how drastic the gameplay changes could be, Nagoshi replied that they won't be as drastic as the game's action or drama components being completely removed, for instance. He feels that they must think both about current fans and newcomers.

The game's basic settings (this is not the "setting" as in location, but the settings as in the game's design) will be seeing changes, so Nagoshi hopes that people won't mind waiting a bit this time. While it would have been possible to get Yakuza 5 out quickly without changing the settings, Nagoshi feels that this isn't desired.

Sega usually shows off new Yakuza games at the Tokyo Game Show. So will we see more of Yakuza 5 at the September event this year? Nagoshi wouldn't give a firm yes or no. The game appears to be quite early, though. Nagoshi explained that while it would be a lie to say that there isn't a design document in place yet, he did feel that the timing of the announcement was a bit too early.

Expectedly, Nagoshi would not provide details on release time frame or platform when asked during the interview session.

about the Studio
Nagoshi also provided some clarification on the formation of Ryu ga Gotoku Studio. He's still an employee of Sega, he assured. In fact, although the studio has its own name, it's located within Sega. Nagoshi's work place hasn't changed.

Asked if he hopes Ryu ga Gotoku Studio will become a landmark brand for Sega similar to the old AM2 brand, Nagoshi replied that it would be nice if this would happen. However, rather than being known just for the studio itself, he hopes the brand becomes recognized by players as the studio that makes great games.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/01/nagoshi_yakuza_5/

Offline SOUP

It's nice to hear that they're updating the engine.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
Certainly not the case, but in recent years SEGA, imo, does not implement certain this policy, rather many times "advertises" its games, presenting them in a bad way, and making them worse than they really are. However, this trend seems to me to be changing.
SEGA STYLE

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
I don't think they are bullshots per say. They released the screens along with artwork, I think some of them are taken right out of the developers kit, which always looks way better than the actual game. I think the one with the two guys fighting is right from the PSP, look at the background. PSP like.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
So what of Amusement Vision/CS1? Was it renamed to RGG studio? or was it split?

Offline Suzuki Yu

So what of Amusement Vision/CS1? Was it renamed to RGG studio? or was it split?
i think it's just a re-naming and re-organizing the team members.
the team is getting bigger and bigger every time... do you remember this article :
http://www.segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=1434.msg37255#msg37255

Well Binary Domain was created by the same team that worked on all of the Yakuza series as well as another division who came together to become a large team.
also one of the key members Yojiro Ogawa was a famous ex-member of SONIC TEAM.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:28:51 pm by Suzuki Yu »

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
also one of the key members Yojiro Ogawa was a famous ex-member of SONIC TEAM.

Yeah, he was the director of Sonic and the Secret Rings but more recently was in charge to directing Yakuza Black Panther.

On a note apart Nagoshi has stated that there is another excellent name that will join the studio and that the recruitment will start soon.
SEGA STYLE

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
Although the term "milking" gets thrown around a lot here, they haven't made a bad Yakuza yet, and IMO each one has improved upon the previous one in huge ways.  It's not milking... it's more like "strike while the iron is hot."

I disagree. If you're releasing 1-2 games of a series each year, you're over-saturating the brand. It's good that they are improving with each title, but if you put up screen shots from each of the games per each system, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. The yearly cycle though with Sonic, Call of Duty, Madden, etc, really drains the excitement behind each future release.

I do agree that it's great to see a series have success like this, and I wish more franchises could release more titles often. I wish I could live in a world were they released a Jet Set Radio, Daytona, Eternal Arcadia, NiGHTS, Zelda, Panzer Dragoon, Guardian Heroes, Valkyria Chronicles every year and complain about how the quality has gone downhill and that the next one might finally be the one to break the cycle.

Offline George

I think if there is enough change, its OK. I think Assassins Creed is a brand that does this and everyone can't wait for the next installment.

Assassins Creed (2008)
Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles (2008)
Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (2009
Assassin's Creed II (2009)
Assassin's Creed II: Discovery (2009)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2010)

and now the upcoming Assassin's Creed: Revelations. Not to mention, some of those titles got average ratings, like Bloodlines, unlike Yakuza who has had nothing but praise with each installment in Japan.

If a game adds more to the formula and is of high quality, fans will be happy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:34:15 pm by George »

Offline Chaosmaster8753

I think if there is enough change, its OK. I think Assassins Creed is a brand that does this and everyone can't wait for the next installment.

Assassins Creed (2007)
Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles (2008)
Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (2009)
Assassin's Creed II (2009)
Assassin's Creed II: Discovery (2009)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2010)

and now the upcoming Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

Don't forget Assassin's Creed has installments planned for Vita and Wii U.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
I was thinking of Amusement Vision as well.

Several web sites such as Gamespot still list Yakuza as developed by AV.

The thing is SEGA has had uncontrollable internal shuffles and since Nagoshi is the current Naka of the company he has worked with every head of studio that is why games like Valkyria (Sega WoW/Am1/OverWorks/WoW Entertainment) or Rise of Nightmares have him credited and share members from AV.

I think for all intents they are still Amusement Vision specially considering they are currently make Black Panther 2 a series that was supposedly started by another team.

Just restore the damn studios make deals like they made with Naka and let people like Uchida, Kodama, and Kumagi have there own studios and if possible sign alumni's like Yu Suzuki, Noriyoshi Ohba and even Mizuguchi in some 10% deal like they have with Naka so in some capacity they can still be part of SEGA.

If enough developers revolted back in 2005 - maybe Sammy could've striked a deal with them and preserved their creative autonomy... Oh well, i'm crying over spilt milk again.

Offline George

I'm all up for new teams. I think SEGA should get people they trust to head teams, like Nagoshi, give them their one chance at a new IP and if it does the best, they get pay raise and bigger exposure for their next titles.

Lets let their talent speak.

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:16:53 am by Suzuki Yu »

Offline SOUP

@segaismysavior:
I agree that it'd be nice to see SEGA take more advantage of all the great IPs they have kicking around, but I really don't mind being able to count on a new Yakuza game every year. It's nice to know that I'll always have a great game to play every spring :D.